My spider moulted

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
She was hiding for quite a few days- today I noticed a new Exuvia, fresh cobweb, and in the evening I found her hanging in her new web.

Also made some flytrap photos in high resolution.

Its a Steatoda spider.

steatoda.jpg

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Hmmm, hope she doesn't get involved with a flytrap. I suspect they aren't too picky as to the animals they eat, as long as they fit in the trap.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@takao21203
Do you buy special spiders as pets or do you make pets of spiders you find in your house or garden?
If you find them, do you look for special species or do you just pick any random spider?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
@takao21203
Do you buy special spiders as pets or do you make pets of spiders you find in your house or garden?
If you find them, do you look for special species or do you just pick any random spider?
If there is something to eat they invite themselves.

Particulary, I have some small inexpensive plants with aphids.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
a few days ago she was running on the web when I sprayed water on some plants.
New cobweb threads! So she was thinking, its prey, or just curious.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
1) Irma
2) Yes. It hides behind a cardboard display, and it pulls the cobweb threads.
3) These actually can bite, but are reclusive, normally you would never be able to have them crawl over your hand. They stay in their webs too, dont wander around or hide in clothing.

The bite can be quite uncomfortable unless its a dry bite. In the UK a school infested with these was gassed.

Yes safe for kids but need proper instruction (dont provoke it or try to handle it). Some other spiders arent very agile, you can have then crawl over your hand, let them drop down from a cobweb strain, and probably, move up again.

These spiders dont like handling, since they always stay in their webs, and if they can, make a retreat in a hole, or behind some surface. I mean, you cant take them out of their cobweb without seriously irritating them, and most likely, abandoning their web.

Last edited: