My old data book collection

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have a 40-page TMS9118/TMS9128/TMS9129 VDP Preliminary Product Brief. I can scan this for you if required.

RESET'/SYNC, pin-34 is INPUT
"This pin is a trilevel input pin. When it is below 0.8 volts, /RESET initializes the VDP.
When it is above 9 volts it is synchronization input for external VDP video."

I would assume that the SYNC input would be composite HOR andVERT.
See Signal 1b in Figure 12.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/32572.pdf

mpownby

Joined Oct 7, 2016
If it only says what you just wrote about the RESET'/SYNC line, then thanks for the offer, but I don't think I could learn anything more.

After talking to my friend, I am concluding what you said, that it is probably composite sync. That datasheet and part that you linked reminds me a LOT of the LM1881. The thing is though, that docs for the RESET'/SYNC line say that the voltage needs to exceed 9V for the VDP to interpret a sync. So I am wondering if the traditional NTSC composite sync is inverted and then boosted so that instead of a 0-1V range (for example), it would have something like a 6-10V range except with an inverted wave form.

I just think it's really curious that this topic isn't covered in any of the docs I've encountered so far. Apparently it was so obvious to everyone back in 1984 that no one thought that it needed to be explicitly spelled out.

I have a 40-page TMS9118/TMS9128/TMS9129 VDP Preliminary Product Brief. I can scan this for you if required.

RESET'/SYNC, pin-34 is INPUT
"This pin is a trilevel input pin. When it is below 0.8 volts, /RESET initializes the VDP.
When it is above 9 volts it is synchronization input for external VDP video."

I would assume that the SYNC input would be composite HOR andVERT.
See Signal 1b in Figure 12.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/32572.pdf

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I take it to mean that the SYNC signal is simply biased up by +9V.
That is, add about 10V to the COMPOSITE SYNC signal.

Edit: I just noticed the Electrical Specifications.
SYNC voltage MIN = 10V, MAX = 12V.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Looking at the attached table, I think that sync is expected to change from 5 volts (inactive) to 12 volts (inactive). The 3 volts to 6 volts for inactive state includes the 5-volt power supply voltage. The 10 to 12 volts active voltage allows for losses when the driver uses a 12 volt power supply. Reset is done by pulling the pin to near ground.

Concept of driver:

AAC_9118_reset-sync.png

Attachments

mpownby

Joined Oct 7, 2016
Looking at the attached table, I think that sync is expected to change from 5 volts (inactive) to 12 volts (inactive). The 3 volts to 6 volts for inactive state includes the 5-volt power supply voltage. The 10 to 12 volts active voltage allows for losses when the driver uses a 12 volt power supply. Reset is done by pulling the pin to near ground.

Concept of driver:

View attachment 113210
did you mean 12 volts (active) by chance? :)

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Hi, I am Looking for the LM1852 and LM1853 datasheet's from National semiconductor or XR402 and XR404 ( Exar RA402, RA404).

Is Hard to find info about this.
please check this schematic: http://pacair.com/audionics/Composer/Schematics/SAIC Tate DES.pdf
Thanks for any help.
Navila
I am not familiar with these parts. Do you know what they do?

I will look at my old National Semi. audio applications manual and see if the data is there. If not I can try other data books of that era.
I doubt I have any XR402 or XR404 data from the 1970's but I will look if I can't find it in the National Semi. books.

This may take a few days to find what you need.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I forgot to look through my data book collection.
LM1852 and LM1853 were used to decode stereo into quadraphonic sound using a system called Tate Directional Enhancement System or TDES.
LM1852 labelled as "detector".
LM1853 as Processor and Matrix Multiplier.

It was featured on November 1977, Electronics Today International, page 63.

ETI-11-1977-pg63.jpg

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I looked in my old National Semi. data books and the closest part number was LM1851. :(
I was not even able to find the part numbers in a selection guide.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
dear Richardo, im looking all about teledyne .
How can i see or download your "1984 teledyne semiconductor data" ?
thanks
I don't have a scan of the entire data book. Do you have a specific part or set of parts that you are interested in? I am willing to do a scan for you if it is not to many pages.

paul72947

Joined Aug 28, 2017
What are these parts. I find no reference to your numbers on the Web. That is a bit odd.
Richard they are 10 bit DACs...I have a government drawing for the MN3098 but not a data sheet from Micro Networks...they are in a 18 pin cerdip
I think at one time they were a subsiderary of Unitrode

Paul

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Richard they are 10 bit DACs...I have a government drawing for the MN3098 but not a data sheet from Micro Networks...they are in a 18 pin cerdip
I am wondering if the part might be custom marked or at least a low volumn run just for the government -- possibly military grade screening.

I did not find any part number like the ones you supplied in my 1988/1989 data book. Can you double check your part numbers? A date code from the chip or the data sheet you have might also be useful.

I am wondering if the part might be custom marked or at least a low volumn run just for the government -- possibly military grade screening.

I did not find any part number like the ones you supplied in my 1988/1989 data book. Can you double check your part numbers? A date code from the chip or the data sheet you have might also be useful.

Here is the NSN for the device

NSN 5962-01-112-3806

It lists it as a MN9038
Paul