my new spider

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by takao21203, Dec 7, 2014.

1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    I think its a steatoda.

It catches many small flies and aphids from the plants I grow on the window sill, so it has moulted recently.
    And the cobweb gets larger and larger.

I got a LED grow light recently.

Today I found a small flytrap plant (but it just emerged from the seed). Its so hard to grow them! It took me months. But the LED lamp apparently worked.

DSC03221.jpg DSC02896.jpg

the second picture is an older view from her. Now she often hangs above the soil. when she's disturbed she retracts behind the plasic container.

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Spider?
    I just thought about the robot spider, but I can't find it, and does it a real spider, no, i still can't find it, oh, they are plants, this is my first times to see these plants.

3. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Weird !!!
    I was thinking of a Spider robot too. !!! :confused:

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  5. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Do you use some kind of compost?

6. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    its from a bag I bought in a gardening shop, unfortunately peat based with low pH, which is bad for many plants. The lime soil around the building is sprayed with Roundup regularily, or I'd use that.

Last time I actually digged out an ant queen + eggs, also on the window sill, currently the ants are hibernating. So the aphids I implated just get eaten by the spider but it doesnt matter they bread fast.

Monsanto bonsai's! Indeed they havent grown much in months, just on the threshold of survival.
    You can see its a different kind of soil, lime based and more suitable for plants growing.

DSC03224.jpg

And another photo from the aphids, I planted a bulb inside the container with the ants

DSC03219.jpg

It will become interesting when the ants start to dig + eat + multiply in the spring. Actually there are more spiders, thats just the largest one with a permanent cobweb.

DSC02939.jpg

that got damaged from cold rain and died after week

7. NorthGuy

Jun 28, 2014
    When I was a kid, I remember feeding them. That was fascinating.

8. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Like spiders, you dont need to feed them they are self-supporting. With aphids around its no problem.

Isnt it fascinating? The aphids suck juices from a plant bulb, which converts water + sunlight into plant matter. then the aphids are eaten by a spider. It can grow considerably!