My new laptop for work

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So my new job bought me a laptop. Tried a few out and finallly settled on and ASUS A55SF. Its pretty nice. Heres some of the specs.

1080p resolution *This was actually hard to find in a laptop under $1500.
Blueray / DVD
2 x USB 3.0/ 2 x USB 2.0
BT 3.0, WIFI BGN / webcam
Bang Hoffestiener sound?
HDMI, VGA, RJ-45, Audio in/out,
Nvidia 555GTX 2GB Dedicated
8GB 1333mhz
Cool charging function where laptop can charge off a normal USB charger or port. I though this was by far the best leap forward on a powerhouse laptop.
Paid $1150.

Had a A53NS earlier and was great laptop with almost same specs,except allowed more memory, lil worse GFX card, and no blueray. But I sent it back because I felt the trackpad wasn't up to par. I've used many and about 70%-90% stick or have abnormalities to start. I have seen some high end and low end laptops with sticky trackpads so I traded that in and got this. Last machine I had, had a bad trackpad and it pissed me off. Since the job was paying I wanted somethign that could replace my desktop and had some muscle.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Sound good, but:

No Firewire?

No slot for memorycards - like those from digital cameras? SD, MMC?

CPU?

Cool function with the charger.:)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
yah has memory card, no firewire. Turns out USB 3.0 is faster then firewire so an adaptor will be easy, but I've found 1394 almost a legacy interface so I haven't used it in years.

2.2GHz Intel Core i7-2670QM Quad-Core

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sa=X&....,cf.osb&fp=ecb6a798695883bc&biw=1280&bih=919
Heres the info on the model number and look up on google. To my surprise it was released 4/11/12 and has a 4 or 5 year warranty. The old one was a N53 series which was $924 but I just couldn't handle the trackpad issues. Plus for the extra 225, I got a Blueray Drive, 8GB memory instead of 8 expandable to 16GB. But after checking out the price of dual 8GB memory sticks is no biggie, I'm not spending $200+ on memory. And the resolution is 1920 x 1080 instead of 1368 x 768. Other then those 3 changes its the same laptop. Oh and its got a slightly better GPU. The old one came with a 630GTX, and the new one has a 555GTX. Under specs they said a 640GTX was equal to a 550GTX so I assume the 555GTX should be a step or two above. Only cons were battery life which I expect with a Gaming / Entertainment laptop. and KB layout supposed to be a lil weird with sound controls on side, but they said the quality of the KB was really good, just the layout was a lil weird.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
nanny nanny boo boo my work laptop is better than your work laptop.
Dell Precision M6600
quad 2.7GHz CPUs
8gb ram
nvidia quadro 4000m video

Now if I could only afford something that badass for myself...
WOW!!! I don't even think thats a laptop. Like Netbooks, Laptops, I think this is whats called a mobile desktop??? $2300 to $1700 isn't too confident. And its huge so thats a lil more then I'm looking for. One thing I did notice is like most dell laptops theres almost no ventilation so will need a cooler for hard work or when it gets a lil older. Honestly even if they were the same price I'd take the ASUS, especially with the brand reputations.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
WOW!!! I don't even think thats a laptop. Like Netbooks, Laptops, I think this is whats called a mobile desktop??? $2300 to $1700 isn't too confident. And its huge so thats a lil more then I'm looking for. One thing I did notice is like most dell laptops theres almost no ventilation so will need a cooler for hard work or when it gets a lil older. Honestly even if they were the same price I'd take the ASUS, especially with the brand reputations.
Mobile desktop, probably. It never leaves my desk. I got rid of my external monitor, as this screen is big enough. I've grown quite attached to it. I won't want to leave it in sept when I quit.:(

For next home computer, definately not going to be another !@$%#@$ ...@$%$%$#! HP. I might go with Asus, heard lots of good things.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I used to do IT work for a lot of companies and ASUS when they were a component maker was by far the best. Then they came out with their eeePC line and that was an outstanding success. Then they started making laptops. As far as laptops go the worst are
HP
LEVENO
and Gateway

All with 50%+ failure rates within 3 years. I'm very parial to ASUS from my IT days. One really nice thing I liked about ASUS was the warrenty. 1 year for anything even dropping it into a pool. then 2 or 4 years limited hardware failure.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I bought my HP in sleep, almost literally. At the time my wife was overseas awaiting her visa. She was incredibly lonely, and also emotionally unstable because of other events. We spent every hour that I wasn't at work, in video conference via skype. She would watch me sleep, I would watch her sleep - a little window into eachother's worlds. I was on night shift and sleeping, then she calls me and says my video stopped. My laptop (sony Vaio) just died. I told her that I would try to see what was wrong with it later and she started crying. She wanted me to fix it right away but I had no idea what was wrong with it. It was a brick. I got in the car after maybe an hour of sleep, went to best buy, and just bought the cheapest thing that had a camera on it. Got home, installed skype and got the video feed back up & running, then went back to sleep. The next day I started looking at my newest purchase and I find that it doesn't even have a video card. I guess it uses the regular RAM as video memory. I can't even watch movies on it. Action scenes turn into slideshows with a choppy soundtrack. I can get away with it if I watch a boring movie with no plot, but if someone walks in front of the camera, the computer falls on it's face. Then the HDD crashed after <1yr.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sounds right on target, your always better off going with last years model on sale then this years cheap model. The integrated GPU's suck though so I definitely wanted a dedicated GPU. You'd be shocked how many high dollar laptops still use the intel gpu chipset with shared memory.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So the laptops in and WOW I'm impressed, way more then the N53. The trackpad is dead solid! No crazy movements, not stuttering, nothing, just exactly what you want it to do. The machine runs just as fast as the last one but the KB, Trackpad, and monitor are 10 times better then the last one. One surprise though I opened it and it came with some sort of small coffee cup looking thing, I looked at it a min and realized it was a subwoofer. So I was thinking how much bigger the speakers on the laptop were, and with a subwoofer I had to find out. So I pluged it in and launched some crap in youtube and wow! I can shake my windows with this lil laptop, granted my windows suck but this is a laptop! It shouldn't be louder then my TV!?!?!?! Well its by far got the best sound I've ever heard out of a laptop! Hands down. Keyboard layout is a bit different but I'm not finding it to hard to adapt. I just hit the caps every once and a while when meaning to type 'a' I'll get used to it. So if anyone is looking for a laptop in the $1000 range check this one out!!!! I'll load some games and do some mkv rendering and give you guys the results of that in a day or so.