My new laptop! :D

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
preeeeeeety sure i know where i got the virus, it wasnt themes, go on a screensaver site for 30seconds and you're screwed, i tell ya :p
anyone ever had the "a device attached to the system is not functioning" virus?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Ok, I am NEVER using that SBC again
effed up some system files, i almost thought I was gonna have to reinstall windows, thankfully sfc /scannow fixed it, but I had a helluva time even getting to the command prompt as an administrator :p
anyway, fixed things and got it back to windows aero default
When things go this ary I always go ahead and reinstall just because some critical files could be corrupt without you even knowing it. Then sucks 3 months later trying to fix a problem youj don'tknow why its doing it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
yea, if i can't get things back to 100% operational in the next couple days, i'll reinstall
ATM though i think i can patch things up

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
FIXD' IT!
reinstalled the OS, became easier than dealing with it :p
did track the virus origin to a youtube video capture program though, so don't go downloading that

Anywho, the screenshots show what i finally settled on for a theme :)
all the blue icons everywhere are from HUD evolution, the black and white ones on the desktop are from HUD white, the theme itself is HUD black with standard black cursors and all windows sounds disabled (they annoy me)

The circle is super useful (for me) and is a rainmeter skin pack, set to stay on desktop (always bottom window)
The start menu/meters in the corner are another rainmeter skin, set to always be on top, maximum transparency, fade to visible when moused over (lets me open the start menu when not on the desktop, I've yet to have a website put something in that corner)
I have the default taskbar hidden and am using stardock

The desktop is a black hole picture I found online and converted to black and white, I also modified the registry and system files so it's applied to the logon\cntrl+alt+delete screen (custom picture for the user icon of course)

My screensaver is "hyperspace", but i disabled the tunnels (you see them if you keep watching)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTUaQ97uUQ

Attachments

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hey I noticed a ASUS or Win7 shortcut problem that no one at asus could figure out. Seems to happen a lot but no one seems to know about it. If you hit right shift+ctrl it will lock your kb into command mode so it you hit O it goes to open a file, if you hit Q it quits the program, etc... You can't type or do anything while in this mode. After testing I figured out just hit Shift+Ctrl again and it turns it off. Before I was having to reboot.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
FIXD' IT!
reinstalled the OS, became easier than dealing with it :p
did track the virus origin to a youtube video capture program though, so don't go downloading that

Anywho, the screenshots show what i finally settled on for a theme :)
all the blue icons everywhere are from HUD evolution, the black and white ones on the desktop are from HUD white, the theme itself is HUD black with standard black cursors and all windows sounds disabled (they annoy me)

The circle is super useful (for me) and is a rainmeter skin pack, set to stay on desktop (always bottom window)
The start menu/meters in the corner are another rainmeter skin, set to always be on top, maximum transparency, fade to visible when moused over (lets me open the start menu when not on the desktop, I've yet to have a website put something in that corner)
I have the default taskbar hidden and am using stardock

The desktop is a black hole picture I found online and converted to black and white, I also modified the registry and system files so it's applied to the logon\cntrl+alt+delete screen (custom picture for the user icon of course)

My screensaver is "hyperspace", but i disabled the tunnels (you see them if you keep watching)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhTUaQ97uUQ
Looks great, Magnet! I forgot to tell you about changing the logon screen. Mine is basically a faded version of my desktop and a large "box" that fits the username and password area.

I also set up a custom boot animation for when the computer is starting up. It replaces the waving windows logo with a "hacking database" animation. It's actually pretty cool.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hey I noticed a ASUS or Win7 shortcut problem that no one at asus could figure out. Seems to happen a lot but no one seems to know about it. If you hit right shift+ctrl it will lock your kb into command mode so it you hit O it goes to open a file, if you hit Q it quits the program, etc... You can't type or do anything while in this mode. After testing I figured out just hit Shift+Ctrl again and it turns it off. Before I was having to reboot.
Just tried it, mine doesn't do that
Doesn't sound like a problem to me, just an unusual feature

Looks great, Magnet! I forgot to tell you about changing the logon screen. Mine is basically a faded version of my desktop and a large "box" that fits the username and password area.

I also set up a custom boot animation for when the computer is starting up. It replaces the waving windows logo with a "hacking database" animation. It's actually pretty cool.
Really, where do you find that?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Just tried it, mine doesn't do that
Doesn't sound like a problem to me, just an unusual feature

Really, where do you find that?
Ok I couldn't leave this alone not knowing if I had a defective KB or if this was normal. After hours of researching heres whats happening. The KB on my Laptop is really sensitive. If you hit shift 5 times it turns on sticky keys. Then hit CTRL twice and you will enter into command mode. Then just hit CTRL to back out of it. If you learned all the shortcuts you would fly working on this thing. Try it out supposebly Win XP has it too. 5 clicks on shift, then 2 clicks on ctrl.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Oops, I completely forgot! :eek: I never gave you the name of that program to change your login screen and boot animation!

The program I used to change the login screen was TweaksLogon. You can download the zip file with the installation exe by clicking here.

The program I used to change the boot animation is the Windows 7 Boot Updater. You can download it by clicking here.

You will need a specific file type for the boot updater to work. For that reason, I've attached a folder that has a wide variety of boot animations. Once you open the Updater, go to File-->Load Boot Skin. Browse for the one you want (It will let you preview them before actually loading them). When you're ready, just hit "Apply" and restart your computer :)

EDIT: Sorry, the file was too big for AAC, so I had to use SendSpace. Here's the download link.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
made more updates, I'll post pics tomorrow :)
tried using the boot updater, for some reason i kept getting errors :p

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I've been doing some upgrades, myself. Got a new theme called Xenomorph. Based off the Alien movies, I think. I like the layout ;)