My multimeter eats leads.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To eliminate the practical joker possiblity, leave the leads apparently connected to the multimeter, but really connected to the live side of your house wiring.

Bob
To eliminate the practical joker possibility, or to simply eliminate the practical joker? :D

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I suspect a manufacturing defect such as wire damage from an overzealous crimping operation. You could melt the molded plastic from one of the probes to explore that possibility.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
It's probably broken because of twisting (axial rotation) of the lead relative to the hard probe. That happens more with people who always fold and or wrap up their leads between use. Especially if the meter is kept in its box which has very tight space for the leads.

My meter leads hang loose on the bench or are jumbled in a large box, they last practically forever.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
I replace fluke leads about every 2 years. It's as common scenario to secure the comm lead and probe with the other, cursing when the meter bungees off the secured lead.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
It's probably broken because of twisting (axial rotation) of the lead relative to the hard probe. That happens more with people who always fold and or wrap up their leads between use. Especially if the meter is kept in its box which has very tight space for the leads.

My meter leads hang loose on the bench or are jumbled in a large box, they last practically forever.

Same here, I'd never return them to that box.

Solution: Buy better leads.;)

radiohead

Joined May 28, 2009
The probe leads were probably manufactured by a pre-teen kid in China or somewhere that QAQC does not exist. It sounds like you got a bad lot. Inside that 'tube' where your probe accepts the wire is a simple crimp connection. Perhaps the crimp wasn't made good. You can either a: buy new probes, b: buy a quality (Fluke) DMM or c: repair the leads yourself so you know they are good.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Those are cheap skate probes. I bet u can unscrew the probe tip from the handle and solder the wire back.
I have done it from time to time on cheap probes.

U are twisting the probe too much.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have bench leads that are 20 years old, but my field leads/ meters are exposed to some pretty severe conditions. That's why I buy Fluke.
Die hard fluke loyalist here. I've dropped my fluke DMM from 10's of feet, dropped it in liquid, tried to measure everything but volts across live 480 v, etc. I wrap my leads around my meter with no regard for tension on joints and cram it unlovingly into my already overstuffed tool bag, and only ever had one break. My meter hasn't been yellow in a long time, but it still works flawlessly.