My lenovo 3000 j series will not boot into the OS

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
I got this PC from my PC store and the guy there took out the hard drive with windows vista. So I put in my hard drive with Linux (Ubutnu 16.04) and it would not boot and I tried reinstalling Ubuntu on it still does not work finally I get the alternate version of Ubuntu and it does not work. Then I get windows XP does not work still. If someone can help me that can be great thanks in advance to anyone commenting

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You've got some hardware issue that those installations don't have drivers for. The video card would be my guess but it's just a guess. Does the machine boot from CD or USB? Does the installation process seem to go normally? Can you turn on verbose logging to see what's happening at start up?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I got this PC from my PC store and the guy there took out the hard drive with windows vista. So I put in my hard drive with Linux (Ubutnu 16.04) and it would not boot and I tried reinstalling Ubuntu on it still does not work finally I get the alternate version of Ubuntu and it does not work. Then I get windows XP does not work still. If someone can help me that can be great thanks in advance to anyone commenting
PATA hd or SATA hd?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So I put in my hard drive with Linux (Ubutnu 16.04) and it would not boot and I tried reinstalling Ubuntu on it still does not work finally I get the alternate version of Ubuntu and it does not work.
You can only do what you're doing if the disk came from a very similarly configured system.

You'd be better off doing a clean install.

Using paragraphs to organize your thoughts will make your posts easier to read.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Your putting in a hardrive with linux on it not using a installation disks. Maybe 6 years ago you could of done that but nowadays even linux is hardware dependent

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
ok i took it back to the computer store and the guy there said the cpu cooler is the issue since it did not work. He said that it is not going to boot into a OS without a working cpu cooler so i bought a new one so when i get the new cooler i will fresh install linux

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
ok i took it back to the computer store and the guy there said the cpu cooler is the issue since it did not work. He said that it is not going to boot into a OS without a working cpu cool
That's pretty much BS. The processor will overheat and potentially destroy itself, but it will be able to boot and run any OS until it shuts down or is destroyed.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Most newer computers will shut down if the cpu fan isn't working. Most will some you can turned off that in the bios.
But didn't you say you took that off to read the cpu you maybe forgot to hook it back up or broke it.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
almost obscene how folks imagine what happens if...

So you think in the early 90s they sold time bombs just waiting for the fan to fail in order to explode catch fire burn out?

Or even worse they still selling them like that.

And swapping in hard drive with OS is rubbish its not working.
You need a live image from a USB or DVD.
As you need some configuration.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
Most newer computers will shut down if the cpu fan isn't working. Most will some you can turned off that in the bios.
But didn't you say you took that off to read the cpu you maybe forgot to hook it back up or broke it.
no the pins are not bent and the cpu is installed

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I just fixed a AMD 2 core that got hot while running no smoke it just shut down when it got hot most will just shut down the fans was full of hair on the PSU and the CPU fan. A good cleaning and it's running like new.

BlakesterGamer

Joined Apr 20, 2016
ok sorry every1 i forgot to tell you this but when i select linux on the purple screen with options like memtest and command line. anyway when i try to boot ubuntu it says timer not connected to io-acpi

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I just fixed a AMD 2 core that got hot while running no smoke it just shut down when it got hot most will just shut down the fans was full of hair on the PSU and the CPU fan.
I once fried an AMD processor in an older computer. I didn't get the heatsink attached correctly and the processor burned up in seconds. I'm now extra careful with AMD processors.

At that time, the coolers on AMD processors were massive and were prone to getting dislodged with "rough" handling.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Which Ubuntu 16.04 do you try? 64-bit or 32-bit? Have you tried to disable ACPI in BOIS? Or you could try booting Ubuntu with acpi=off, as a grub parameter.

Have fun!