My Ham Shack

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Nice shack Eric! Very nice indeed. You have quite a bit of room which is very nice. I have most of the older equipment as well (I like the design and simplicity). What kind of antenna system do you have going?

Here are some pictures of my ham shack. I currently have a random wire antenna fed into a tuner (until I get the HF vertical antenna I'm saving up for). As you can see, my ham shack is small...but hey...it works. I also have an old oscilloscope that I got for free...its an oldie but it works great.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike2545

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Electronerd, what do you do in the winter? It looks like you just opened the window and ran the antenna wires out, you cant even close it all the way. Don't you get bugs in the house?

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Electronerd, what do you do in the winter? It looks like you just opened the window and ran the antenna wires out, you cant even close it all the way. Don't you get bugs in the house?
Hey Mike,

Believe it or not but I JUST got an HF shack working last week. It does okay for the meantime and I'm expecting to get that vertical antenna I mentioned up soon. Then I might just drill a hole through the wall, feed the wires, and then seal it up. So I haven't been through winter yet. As for bugs, yes they do come in. That's why I put a piece of electrical tape to seal that crack. But, I have to tune my old transceiver with a light bulb so I have to take the coax coming from my antenna and connect to a light bulb. I don't have a lot of coax and I have to take the screen out to do this. I just got this going so I haven't got everything exactly like I'd like it to be.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Nice shack Eric! Very nice indeed. You have quite a bit of room which is very nice. I have most of the older equipment as well (I like the design and simplicity). What kind of antenna system do you have going?

Here are some pictures of my ham shack. I currently have a random wire antenna fed into a tuner (until I get the HF vertical antenna I'm saving up for). As you can see, my ham shack is small...but hey...it works. I also have an old oscilloscope that I got for free...its an oldie but it works great.
I have an inverted L for 160, a 3 element monobander for 20, and everything else is an inverted Vee fed with ladder line, that you can see just above the vintage Johnson Matchbox.

One glorious item missing in this photo is my Central Electronics 100V, one of the first SSB transmitters ever built. It uses the phasing method...a true collector's item. :)

Eric

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008

By the way...the Tek 7904...didn't that have a spectrum analyzer plug-in available?

Eric

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Give the number of the tuning bulb,some may not want to ask.
Thinking It might be a 75 watt light bulb.Explain tech.
If you don't mind me saying, please use proper grammar the next time so that I can understand you. I suppose you might be asking how I tuned my transceiver with a light bulb? Well this was quite popular back in the day. All I did was find a light bulb (I used a 75W bulb, but a 275W bulb would have been the one to get), and hooked it up to the antenna of my transceiver. Now I measured the SWR of what this would be - R = E <2> / P so R = 120V * 120V / 75W = 192Ω. Now, to obtain the SWR I simply divided 192Ω by 50Ω and got an SWR of 3.8 (VERY BAD SWR!). You usually don't want to go over 3 but I did...and It still worked. So if we had a 275W bulb - 120V * 120V / 275 = 52Ω which is very close to 1 which is what I want (I want a SWR of 1:1, expressed as a ratio).

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hey Mike,

Believe it or not but I JUST got an HF shack working last week. It does okay for the meantime and I'm expecting to get that vertical antenna I mentioned up soon. Then I might just drill a hole through the wall, feed the wires, and then seal it up. So I haven't been through winter yet. As for bugs, yes they do come in. That's why I put a piece of electrical tape to seal that crack. But, I have to tune my old transceiver with a light bulb so I have to take the coax coming from my antenna and connect to a light bulb. I don't have a lot of coax and I have to take the screen out to do this. I just got this going so I haven't got everything exactly like I'd like it to be.
Some of us more...ahem....adventurous types used to tune homebrew linear amplifiers by drawing an R.F. arc from the plate cap with a pencil point....the longer the arc, the better the tuning.

And we're still here to talk about it. :D