My grandad's amp any good?

oirfian

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Don't know if I have posted this in the right place.
I am thinking about buying a decent amp for some expensive speakers i'm going to buy and need some advice.

I have a very old pre amp and power amp from my grandad from the 70s. Now my grandad was quite a rich inventor and the technological things he owned were very high quality. This amp looks like in it's day it was serious business. It is not massive but weighs a ton.
Here are the specs. I would like to know if this is still good quality or just a dated machine.

Nakamichi 410 Pre amp
power consumption 20VA
V 100 - 240 V
50/60 Hz

Nakamichi 410 Power amp
240-50Hz
Max 400 VA (8ohms)

I don't have a clue what all this means so some advice would be very welcome. thanks

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My advice is worthless for old equipment like this, but if it was quality then it is still better than most of the new stuff now. Electronics is becoming an old art.

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
"Very old"??? Grandpa? Sheesh, rub it in :p. I still have the Marantz components I bought around 1970... Gotta get them out to see if they still work...

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Open it an clean it up with canned air and some alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the circuit board(solder side). Then examine the soldering closely for bad joints(mostly where controls and heat sinked transistors are mounted).
I personally would replace all the large electrolytic capacitors as well.

canodw

Joined Mar 29, 2011
For me, I'm gonna buy new one, because electronics components have a life expectancy and degrade even they are not inuse or stored at good stock room. Climate greatly affects the lifespan of electronics.
And for now, many new improved amplifier are in the market ;)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Like Kermit says, the electrolytic caps are suspect. Those units were made somewhere around 1976 to 1979, so they're over 30 years old. If you try to power them up without replacing the capacitors, odds are pretty high that you'll burn something up - and finding replacements for the power transistors will be mighty difficult.

If you're not willing or able to replace the caps yourself, I suggest that you don't even try to power it up. Have a technician replace them. It's not going to be cheap to pay someone to replace them.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
That amp pair would be worth a ton to the right collector.

I would not mess with it at all, definitely DON'T start pulling it apart, and instead post on some of the Audio forums and see if anyone want to make you an offer for it. :)

canodw

Joined Mar 29, 2011
For me, I'm gonna buy new one, because electronics components have a life expectancy and degrade even they are not inuse or stored at good stock room. Climate greatly affects the lifespan of electronics.
And for now, many new improved amplifier are in the market ;)

...instead of buying old one.

oirfian

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Ok thanks for those comments. Think I will take THE RB suggestion as I don't have a clue about trying to fix things on it.