My First Project! - Re-purpose a LED flashlight.

SSamiK

Joined Jan 7, 2014
Hi!
This is my very first post on this board, and I really hope someone is able to help me out a little.

I want to take a LED flashlight and re-purpose it to keep part of my driveway light at night. Of course I could go out and buy a pre-made light for this, but I want to take this road due to a number of facts I wont discuss here.

Now, I have sorted the power supply and have that part figured out and working. I made a standalone battery pack charged with the help of a Solar Panel - so that part is all good and dandy.

The thing I'm struggling is the switch of the flashlight. I'm hoping to attach a photosensitive switch, to make the light go on automatic at nightfall.

I have a couple of these laying around;

Hopefully I can those, but I'm not sure.

The PCB of the flashlight is, I suspect, fairly simple. And the switch on it is some sort of magnetic operated doohickey (Located at the big red A on the following picture,).
http://ssamik.dyndns.info/pic.jpg (Remotely hosted picture, added as URL due to big size)

So - anybody able to help me with this?
This stopped for me, due to the fact that the exsisting switch has three connectors, while my new switch has four.

Is this even possible to do, without to much trouble?

Can the new switch be used or do I need to get something else?

If it can be done with what I have - witch connector needs to go where?

In advance - thank you for all input and ideas on how to do this!

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I don't read chinese, so I don't know what those "things" are. Get yourself a photo switch with decent documentation and you'll be fine. Or else make one.

SSamiK

Joined Jan 7, 2014
Well.. that thing is a photo switch. All though, some decent documentation would be nice.

But there is two wires marked IN, and two marked OUT.

If this one is useless, what would be a better choice?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Those ubiquitous solar landscape lights usually use a small CdS cell and a "comparator" to decide when it's dark enough to turn on the LED. You could do the same, using a MOSFET for your switch. How much current does that light need? Voltage?