My first project on breadboard?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

What are the values of the capacitors used?
For a 232 A you will need 0.1 μF for each one.
For a 232 you will need 1 μF for each one.
See this drawing from the datasheet:

Bertus

Attachments

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Hello,

What are the values of the capacitors used?
For a 232 A you will need 0.1 μF for each one.
For a 232 you will need 1 μF for each one.
See this drawing from the datasheet:

Bertus
ok I will be use 0.1 μf but can you tell me that my capacitor connection is correct or not , If this is correct then I want to add db9 male connector So I just want to confirm

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Look carefully at the drawing. The pins are drawn in the wrong position vs. your actual chip. The PIN numbers are shown in the drawing you will have to count out the PIN numbers on your chip (from the circle or notch) count 1 to 8 down the left side and the 9 to 16 up the right side (1 and 16 are on the same end of the chip).

Now, look at the upper right corner of the drawing, it says "pin 2" need a capacitor there with the other end going to the power supply +. Pin 16 also connects to power supply +.

Double-check the rest of your board.

I don't have the whole datasheet but you may need a special power supply with +10 volts, common (0 volts) and -10 volts.

Cheers

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
thank you sir for reply
I have replaced capacitor and few things

don't confused about led I have used red Led with series resistor

I don't have usb to serial adopter so I used two cable
Db9 male connector +db9female connector------cable-----db9 female+db9male+usb port to laptop port
look this images

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
In the first photo, the smaller IC is not properly seated.

I don't understand what you are doing. You keep showing us low quality photos of an unfinished breadboard that contains extra but unattached components. And I don't think we've seen a full schematic.

Building a circuit on a breadboard is not an activity that you can do remotely. You need to work through your schematic, one node at a time, step-by-step, methodically with great care and attention to detail. Once you are done, if you want others to check it over before you supply power, post some good pictures.

If your schematic is not ready, stop building now. It's pointless to build before you know where you are going.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I believe your laptop must have the proper driver for that USB-to-serial adapter to operate properly? I'm not sure. Provide more details if you need an answer.

It's possible that the cables or the gender changer are flawed, but I would look at the adapter first, as the more likely suspect.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Can you identify which com port is assigned to the USB to serial adapter? Is it active?

If you short the TX and RX pins together on the DB9 connector and use hyperterminal or putty, can you see characters typed echo back? Then add the next adapter and repeat the test. etc...

Finally, what do you mean by the cable is not working? Does the programmer IDE not recognize the microcontroller? Are both ends (PC and microcontroller) configured with the same speed, start bits and stop bits?