My first project on breadboard?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I need help, I am beginner , I want to learn something by doing some work on hardware I I bought some electronics lab tools and component

small project - I want to blink Led using microcontroller

microcontroller -p89v51rd2
breadboard
wires black, yellow
battery 9 v dc
Electrolytic Capacitors 1000 μF
diode 1n4007
Ceramic Capacitors 22 ρf
7805 regulator
LED
crystal oscillator

I have made some connection on breadboard, not all but trying to complete I have upload Images please check out me and tell me where i am wrong. remember this is my first project on breadboard

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Your LED is getting power from the Microcontroller but, you have both pins connected to the Microcontroller. If you plan to do it like this (and you shouldn't - but if you did), you would need to set the Microcontroller pin connected to the a note (+) pin of ?LED as an output pin and set it high (1). Then set the Microcontroller pin connected to LeD cathode pin as an output and set it low (0).

The trouble with that arrangement is that nothing limits the amount of current flowing through the Led. Assuming your Microcontroller is running at 5v, you need to add a resistor (150 to 330 ohm) in series with the LED and one of the micro pins.

If you were able to set your pins conneded to the LED as described in the first paragraph, you may have damaged one or both (and possibly the LEd).

Test that the LED works by connecting it to your power (but using a resistor in series to control current).

Then try again with two different pins. - you do have a programmer, compiler and all that is needed to get your program to your micro, correct?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There may be other issues but the first one I see is the capacitor at the far left in the 1st photo, near the regulator. It has no contact with the regulator, as connections do not carry across the central "trench".

The ground wire is also not connected to the regulator, see 3rd photo. That diode on the power rails isn't doing anything either. The power wire to the µP goes nowhere.

I suspect you need to study which breadboard pins are interconnected and which are not.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I also realized that you seem to have a misunderstanding about which holes on your breadboard connect to other holes.

In the picture below, the short black lines mean only those 5 holes are connected in the breadboard. In other words, Your yellow wire is not electrically connected to your LED.

Also, look closely at your caps that are supposed to be connected to your crystal.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Also, your battery (-) should be connected to the ground strip (black or dark blue) and battery (+) should be connected to the regulator's input. The regulator's output should connect to the board red power strips to give you 5 volts on this strips.

As connected, you have battery voltage at the power strips and the regulator is doing nothing.

Try this site to learn how a breadboard works - very nice site!

http://startingelectronics.com/beginners/start-electronics-now/tut1-breadboard-circuits/

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Hi Vead. As a tip, most newer cellphone chargers give out around 5 volt. If you have some that is not used lying around. It may be used as power source for bread board. As those 9 volts battery wear out quite fast.
At the board connection point use the 1000uF and 22nF in parallel with the voltage source. You must of course have a voltmeter to check the polarity and that the voltage is correct. If it is somewhat lower than 5 volt, say 4.5 volt it does not have much to say

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
I have attached Image I want to make this type of power supply circuit

Q) in my previous post . i have uploaded three Images. Is it correct ? or I need to changes in connection

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I have attached Image I want to make this type of power supply circuit

Q) in my previous post . i have uploaded three Images. Is it correct ? or I need to changes in connection
Your breadboard is looking better near the regulator but...
- I don't see where you are connecting your battery. Battery Positive should connect to pin 1 (left pin when you can read the 7805 part number), battery (-) should connect to black power rail.

- your diode is connected to two points on the positive power rail - it is doing nothing.

- I am not sure you need the small yellow and black jumper wires in the middle of your power rail board. Use an ohm meter to check if your power rails are split at the mid-point of your board.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
check out image If all connection is correct then i want to start next step

now I want to make programmer circuit
DB9 male connector
maxrs232 Ic
ceramic cap 22 pF (4)
adopter

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I have attached Image I want to make this type of power supply circuit..
You need to add a diode in reverse orientation to bypass the regulator in the event the power supply is removed. The remaining charge on the output capacitor, or perhaps from the load, will otherwise hold the output voltage higher than the input voltage on the regulator, and this can damage it.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I would like to suggest that you start with a simpler breadboard project. A 555 based flasher for example. This will help you get familiar with how the breadboard works without all the complications of programming a microcontroller. A 555 can also run directly from the 9V so no need for a regulator.

Bob

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
No, I mean you need to add a path for the output capacitor to discharge to the input side of the regulator, so that it doesn't drive current back into the regulator. Read the data sheets for the regulator - it will show this in the example circuits.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
you mean

12v dc battery + 1n4007 diode +1000 μf capacitor+ ceramic cap 22ρf +7805 Ic + ceramic cap22 pf+ microcontroller 5vdc

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
you mean

12v dc battery + 1n4007 diode +1000 μf capacitor+ ceramic cap 22ρf +7805 Ic + ceramic cap22 pf+ microcontroller 5vdc
No, he means one more diode - in reverse of normal current flow like this (D1). It is there "just in case". Note, the stripped side of D1 should be connected to pin1 of the 7805 and the other end of D1 should be connected to pin 3 o 7805.

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
look at this image I want to make this type of power supply
why diode is not connected in reverse direction in regulator side

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
It is just common to add a SECOND diode as described above.

You will usually be fine without it and I rarely put one there. Anyhow, just move on and you can decide if you want to have one or not. Not really required if you are just lighting an LED with a Microcontroller.

It is important to look into the suggestion above that you buy a 555 timer and try building a circuit on your breadboard that flashes the LEd (or plays tones into a speaker). It will be much easier to start with an easier circuit. There are just too many things that can go wrong with a Microcontroller circuit. Start with baby steps. You'll be ready for a race soon.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Not really required if you are just lighting an LED with a Microcontroller.
Agreed, and I probably should have kept quiet about it. Thanks for providing the drawing for the OP.

Something you would do for an application expected to last for years is different than a temporary DIY project on a breadboard. I find these regulator ICs to be incredibly robust against abuse. I'm not sure I've ever succeeded in ruining one. Yet.