My first PCB: doing it right?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by DragoslaV, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DragoslaV

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Hello all, first let me introduce as I'm new here. I'm a webdesigner and I'm new to circuits, with help of the interweb and with a network I managed to get the project done through the breadboard phase.

Disclaimer: I'm making a project for my scooter, as I read in the ToS I cannot ask questions about modifications, however I do not intent to mod any motorcycle function or ask related questions to it. I think this do not fall under the 'motorcycle modification', if it does, I apologize in advance for the inconvenience.

The project:
    I want to create a connection between my phone and motorcycle with bluetooth, my phone will send the GPS speed to my Arduino and that will control 5 LED's for a custom speed indicator. I currently have no speed indicator (which is not required by my law) or alarm module. I add this parts myself.

Next to that I have 8 opto-couplers which read a circuit (i.e. 1. Blinkers, 2. General warnings, 3. Fuel capacity, 4. Cooling warnings, 5. Alarm active, 6. Engine active, 7. Big lights and 8. Alarm pager active). Then the multiplexer will read each individual opto-coupler with the help of the pull-up resistors within the Arduino.

Next to the multiplexer, I have an 7805 replacement to step down the 12v to 5v, its the DE-SW050 and already have the right capacitors build-in. (The DE-SW050 has the same pins as an 7805, so please see the 7805 in my design as the DE-SW050)

Then I also have 5 RGB LED's which are placed within the 'HONDA' logo, if the blinkers are on the HONDA logo will light up orange. If I drive 20kph then the first two letter of the logo will be turned on, if I drive 50kph the whole logo will be turned on.

The last feature is to control 4 relays and to have one on/off button. The 4 relay's are to control i.e. 1. Alarm on/off, 2. Turn engine on/off, 3. Prevent engine turning on if alarm active and 4. Turn key on/off (this last one is required before starting the engine, that is because my scooter has a start-up phase to measure the environment for it's fuel injection)

The components:
    - 1 x ArduinoBT
    - 1 x DE-SW050
    - 2 x PC847
    - 1 x 4051

- 1 x Capacitor 0.1uF

- 1 x Capacitor 47uF

- 1 x D-sub connector
    - 8 x 1k resistors
    - 5 x 68ohm resistors
    - 1 x 33ohm resistor
    - 1 x 12ohm resistor

The zip-file include both Eagle files.
    Any suggestions, help or critiques are very welcome! :)

I also have two question related to the ground plane, are all components grounded properly? and is the spacing between the pins and ground plane enough good enough?

Note: I have downloaded the Design rules from the PCB housing and it runs without any errors!

2. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I duuno about how this thread will end.
    Let's wait till it's moderated.

3. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    Yeah I understand that. I was really doubting about posting it but I really need the help so let's just wait patiently for a moderation :)

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I've brought it up before the other moderators for discussion.

How are you planning on interfacing all of this without getting into the wiring of the bike? Where is the power coming from?

5. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    Alright, thanks for that Bill!

Good question; All the wires of my scooter have a connector where I can add my own to it without really modifying it, the connector has 'ears' that wraps around.

6. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Care to show some pictures?

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Where did this connector come from? Was it part of the bike or did you already install it?

We are always up for general electronics questions, but really don't have much slack for land vehicle mods.

Some other resource you might find useful would include these links...

Member selected automotive forums

I wrote a how to on PCBs a while back...

How I make PCBs

It is part of my blog...

Bill's Index

8. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    I think the connector we're talking about is not really related to my question, I think my questions is indeed more related to the general electronics, i.e. PCB design I made. But yes this connector is already part of my scooter.

I also couldn't mention my scooter and say I want to build a breakout-board for my ArduinoBT, but to require the proper help and critique I wanted to describe the whole project.

Also thank you for the links Bill. But I'm not going to make them myself as I mentioned; I go to a PCB housing :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  9. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Actually it was very pertinent. We will allow many devices that use cigarette lighters, but if you install the cigarette lighter jack that is a modification.

If you installed the connector same thing, it becomes part of the larger project and is DQed. As is you should be able to mention the make/model of bike and option and it is defined as a factory option.

Before the moderator staff can decide anything we have to have the facts. I'm just asking the preliminary questions. You showed us the courtesy of giving us a heads up, so we'll return the favor by making sure all the facts are in. :D

DragoslaV likes this.
  10. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    Alright, thank you once again :) I will also provide as much details as I can in order to let that process be in good ways. Please see attachment for photo of the connector. I will wrap the 'ears' back and add my cable to it that leads to the D-Sub.

Also the V+ and GND comes from my battery and can be screwed onto the battery without modifying it.

Also English isn't my native, do you also want to know the bike/model?

11. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    Any word yet if its allowed? I'm also seeking help elsewhere but I really would appreciate it to hear it from the experts here.

See also attached photo of the scooter.

12. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I am still waiting for the mods approval.

But I gotta tell u that even though I do a lot of those mods on bikes here I do not discuss them.

I can very well see ur circuit but I have no idea on Arduino as I am a PIC beginner.

I'll will go thru ur circuit and PM u. Have ur PM turned on.

Cool bike, by the way.

13. DragoslaV

Mar 24, 2012
    Double thanks R!f@@ :)

I tried turning on the PM under 'User CP > Edit options > Messaging & Notification' but I guess because I'm currently moderated I cannot turn it on. However sending a message to my email will work.

The Arduino also doesn't have to much hassle, the only things you should know is that the input pin on the arduino (A0) is using its internal pull-up resistor and also despite the label '9v' you can only power it by a maximum of 5.5volt.

See the attachment for the schematic of the input pin. The rest of the Arduino is pretty straight forward.

Also currently I have every component with a GND connected to the ground plane which is then connected to the GND of my 12v battery. Do I need to make the grounds of my optocoupler isolated? (pin #2 and #3 on the PC847)

14. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I apologize for the delay. A speedometer is a fairly important pieces of safety equipment. I am a bit surprised the bike did not come with one.

I am afraid I will have to close this thread down.

Another forum I consider every good as this one is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . They also have a strong µC forum, in many ways they are very similar to here.

The only negative with them is they do not run as tight a reign on trolls, but if you can over look the jerks you will get the help you need.

Any generic questions are also always welcome at this site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.