My First Board--Need Help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by beeson76, Sep 3, 2010.

1. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Here is my first board I have designed. After breadboarding and getting a board made here is what it looks like. Does this look right. It works the way it is. It simply involves 2 tilt switches that when they are not are not closed, the red LED lights. When the tilt switches are closed the green LED lights. Since, I hear that electricity flows from negative to positve, that is how I have designed the board.

2. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    To me something is confusing about the circuit. I know I designed it and it works::)) but something is still confusing. From the schematic to the actual board layout of the Secondary board, the red LED and Zener Diodes appear to be facing opposite directions from one to the other. Which one is the correct direction?

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Lets start here first..
    Conn2 is numbered as 1,3,2,4 (not 1,2,3,4)

4. beeson76

Thread Starter Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Thanks mgyvr. After looking back at it, I did figure out that the connectors were backwards. So I changed them. Then I changed direction of current too which corresponds with both Main and Secondary board layout. And I added the note about Electron Flow and Conventional Flow. This was after I read some more on the Circuit Book from this website. Here is the updated Schematic.

5. Ghar

Mar 8, 2010
    ...never, ever, ever, ever, ever reorient anything on a schematic based on 'electron flow' vs 'conventional flow'

It doesn't make any sense and is completely incorrect.

The diode 'arrow' shape points from plus to minus. That's how it is and that's how it always is, it doesn't matter which direction you pretend current is going in.

Second, no one actually uses electron flow though I guess the AAC book disagrees with me...

You also oriented the zeners and the LEDs in the same direction which probably isn't what you want.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010