My feelings are hurt. Send me $15 million.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Do you really think that if you walked into a school with bomb parts, minus the active ingredient, that you would avoid suspicion or action by the authorities? No way. You would be arrested, removed and questioned just like this kid was.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I have to disagree with all of the above. He repacked a clock, it was not a hoax bomb. It take only a limited technical knowledge to recognize a bomb, explosives for one thing.

If the school or the cops really thought it was a bomb they would have evacuated the school. They did not.
That's actually an excellent point. I think they will try to settle the case for a number the insurance company is comfortable with, but they can expect their premiums to rise.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
He was a kid, and a civilized society would not do that to a kid -- any kid.
A kid his age is ~50% more likely to commit murder than someone my age. Do you really think he should be above the law? Should I be that much further above the law, merely by virtue of my age?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
We're not talking about murder here. Why do you feel the need to introduce extraneous information? Are you suggesting that we lock up 15-year olds and throw away the key. Sure am glad you're not in charge.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You implied he deserved special leniency due to his age. That may be true in the punishment phase of the legal process, but is not appropriate when assessing and neutralizing a threat. A person his age is more likely to be a criminal than someone my age, but I expect no special treatment.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Do you really think that if you walked into a school with bomb parts,
He walked into school with a clock and took it directly to his science teacher. If you think a clock is a bomb part, you should call the SWAT team on yourself.

neutralizing a threat.
What threat? The threat of knowing what time it is?
There were clocks all over that school and not one single teacher was arrested.

I sincerely think you are very misguided today.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There was no threat before, during, or after the incident. It was only in the fevered imaginations of the school officials and the cops. Maybe they thought it was a good opportunity to get back at the kid for past misdeeds. They just looked silly doing what they did and maybe they even thought gullible people would believe the piles of BS they were shoveling. They should have called the parents and involved them, that's what intelligent authorities do. They panicked, and they look STUPID!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There was no threat before, during, or after the incident.
But they didn't know that. Perhaps the science teacher had the knowledge to give the clock the once over and see it was not a threat but the administrators certainly don't have the skills nor would they want to try to evaluate the potential danger of the clock.

They panicked, and they look STUPID!
True. It could have have been handled a lot better. Once the clock was out of the hands of the kid and he kept his hands in plain sight, he presented little danger.

The only reason this made the news is because this was a Muslim kid with an electronic device that got hassled. This same type of over reaction by school administrators happens all the time. Kids are arrested all the time for toy guns, pocket knives, innocent notes to the little red head girl, etc. etc.

One thing is certain is that he got undue attention for a really lame project. A lot of kids out there his age that are far more brilliant and don't get to visit the President.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
There was no threat before, during, or after the incident. It was only in the fevered imaginations of the school officials and the cops.
Thank you, Papa. I was just dropping in as an after thought to see if wayneh missed the fact that the only place a bomb hoax existed was in the imagination of the police and they knew it.

There was no bomb. There was no hoax. There was no detonator. There was only the imagination of the police AFTER they learned and realized there was no bomb, there was no bomb threat, and there was no bomb hoax. It was ALL a police construct perpetrated AFTER they knew there was no threat, no bomb, and no hoax.

The fact that this stupidity is rampant is not an excuse, it is an indictment.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Do you really think that if you walked into a school with bomb parts, minus the active ingredient, that you would avoid suspicion or action by the authorities? No way. You would be arrested, removed and questioned just like this kid was.

Millions of kids are walking into class every day with bomb parts in their pocket.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I sincerely think you are very misguided today.
Quite possibly true. We all have the disadvantage of not having witnessed the event nor having any insight into his thinking or intentions. But there's a big gap between acting with an over-abundance of caution and acting upon racism and malice. I don't think they'll be able to close that gap and get the school and cops in trouble.

Seems this is a case of the classic "irresistible force vs immovable object" scenario -- To wit: abuse of the tort system by manipulative, egocentric losers -- vs -- control crazed idiot security personnel -- IMO both sides in this matter richly deserve each other!:rolleyes:

Best regards
HP

Millions of kids are walking into class every day with bomb parts in their pocket.
If your point is that anything is weaponizable I agree all the way! --- On the other hand, legal precedent holds that exhibition of facsimiles of weapons with intent to intimidate is (legally) indistinguishable from brandishment of the 'genuine article' (hence "fear" in "by dint of fear or force")...

Best regards
HP

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If your point is that anything is weaponizable I agree all the way! --- On the other hand, legal precedent holds that exhibition of facsimiles of weapons with intent to intimidate is (legally) indistinguishable from brandishment of the 'genuine article' (hence "fear" in "by dint of fear or force")...

Best regards
HP

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

All I simply meant was they carry cell phones that can be used as part of a detonator.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
You guys might have a bit more credibility if you had ever been arrested and handcuffed for any kind of reason.
BTDT lots of times. The vast majority was a case of mistaken identity. I finally wised up and started having the police ask for the age of the individual they were looking for. Clearly they were looking for someone 20 years my senior.

Handcuffing is policy.