My feelings are hurt. Send me $15 million.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Here is an excerpt from my personal writings:

"The next event was at about 13 years of age. I was digging in the garden to bury rotting pears to reduce the smell and the crowd of bees that liked the smell. A police car arrived and the cop asked me what I was doing. I simply dropped the shovel and walked into my home. I did not answer him. I did not look at him. I did not walk to his car when he told me to. I just walked away from a person so stupid that he could not understand that a person with a shovel, digging in a garden, is gardening."

I don't know how cops get that stupid and I don't know what he was trying to make out of a pimply kid burying rotten fruit. I only knew I was on my own private property and, if I was lucky, he wouldn't shoot me in the back.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I remember a story about a guy who was picked up for vagrancy, held in solitary confinement for 2 years and never arraigned, a clear violation of the constitution. When his sister finally tracked him down he was a basket case. The town in New Mexico that did this was arguing that $2M was too much, when this guy will probably need every penny to recover. Someone in that town should have gone to jail, but it will never happen.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I also think that the police are likely to be way more dangerous to the innocent than you might imagine. Do you really believe that if you have done nothing wrong you are safe?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I remember a story about a guy who was picked up for vagrancy, held in solitary confinement for 2 years and never arraigned. When his sister finally tracked him down he was a basket case. The town in New Mexico that did this was arguing that $2M was too much, when this guy will probably need every penny to recover. Someone in that town should have gone to jail, but it will never happen.
I remember being appalled when I heard that story, and I doubt that it is an isolated case.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

Here's one for 35 years... (released in 2013)
http://www.businessinsider.com/james-bain-exonerated-after-35-years-in-prison-2013-10

here is one - 37 years (wife framed him). released in 2014.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-double-murder-Arizona-released-37-years.html

Here is one for 35 years - (released in 2009)
testing of 35-year-old dna didn't match his DNA - proving he didn't kill a boy. (my sandwich doesn't last 35 days, does a delicate DNA strand survive so well after 35 years that it would be expected to match a current sample?)
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/12/17/florida.dna.exoneration/

You are right, there are hundreds of examples. Mostly cases from the '70s and '80s that have been re-opened and DNA testing run. I don't think I have heard of one case where the DNA matched. Either a lot of innocent people in jail or DNA samples in an evidence box stored in a warehouse doesn't look the same as a fresh sample.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
There are so many of these that I can't sort out which one you are talking about. Just Google, "Man Released years in prison".

http://www.dogpile.com/search/web?fcoid=417&fcop=topnav&fpid=27&q=Man+released+years+in+prison&ql=
I had similar problem trying to find again the article I was talking about. I'm sure it was in an Icelandic internet news media and there are only like 3 of those I look at every day yet I still can't find that story...I never thought it would be relevant to anything I would talk about on the internet though...One thing I remember is that the evidence that cleared him was that he was serving a month in jail (probably in another city or state) at the time of the murder.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I had similar problem trying to find again the article I was talking about. I'm sure it was in an Icelandic internet news media and there are only like 3 of those I look at every day yet I still can't find that story...I never thought it would be relevant to anything I would talk about on the internet though...One thing I remember is that the evidence that cleared him was that he was serving a month in jail (probably in another city or state) at the time of the murder.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fra...=&oe=#q=framed+prison+released+cops&tbs=qdr:w

Use the advanced search terms to set the date range.
The most current story was 6 days ago from Washington, DC (27 years in jail for a crime committed in 1981.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...454054-8e04-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. That's it. I especially noticed the quote at the bottom of the article:

"the conduct of police — particularly Taylor, who was one of two detectives who oversaw the 40-member homicide unit — was troubling given that the jurors’ verdict Wednesday meant they had concluded that police lied in the past and at this month’s trial.

“The fact that he would so brazenly lie under oath as well as fabricate evidence and suppress exculpatory evidence will certainly warrant appropriate investigations,” Neufeld said."

and thus we arrive at Papa's statement in post #27.

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
I also think that the police are likely to be way more dangerous to the innocent than you might imagine. Do you really believe that if you have done nothing wrong you are safe?
I've been in a car in a parking lot with a friend waiting while two of my friends went into a shop to buy some snacks. When a police car came out of nowhere and rushed opened the doors and pretty much pulled us out of the vehicle before you could understand what was going on. No knock on the door, no excuse me sir could you exit the vehicle. More like you had been hit by the SWAT team. They searched us and the car like they were so sure that they would find something and most likely had a warrant to search the vehicle otherwise if they would have found something it would not hold. To make a short story short. They did not find a single illegal thing and the whole ordeal took less time than my 2 friends shopping for snacks. Probably had info on the wrong car, number or place. They were so sure of us having drugs...

But we were lucky that they where honest cops like most/many(nit-pick) of them are.

They were a little bit more than humble when they left us.;)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The tendency around here is, once the police realize they are wrong, they, "double down", like trying to hold a child incommunicado until he confesses that clocks are really parts of a bomb.

And, see how nicely I brought that around to the Topic the this Thread? :p

(I had to take off work today because I get so awfully sore from crawling all over a used car.:()

Do you have an issue with the most ubiquitous search engine?
Yes.

I am an iconoclast. I don't have Adobe Acrobat installed. I don't use Internet Explorer or Yahoo, or Google. I clear my Internet history at least 12 times a day. I don't drink Bud Light, brush with Crest, smoke Marlboro's, or drive a Hemi. I don't care if a job requires me to show up on Sunday or start at 10 PM. I don't respect cops just because they have an average I.Q. of 104, are trained to lie to the citizens, and believe The Constitution is the single greatest threat to their authority.

You should disagree with me vehemently and quickly if you don't want your name on the same list with Izler Solomon, John Lennon, and George Carlin.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Back on topic, my 2¢ is that this case will never see trial. The kid would need to disclose in detail what he really did for his "clock" project and then prove the school district and the police were grossly out of line. They were not.

Blindly following protocol - and I think they did - may be aggravatingly stupid but it's not going to get them in trouble. The kid acted as a douchebag and brought a hoax bomb to school. He suffered consequences for his stupid actions, just as other grade-schoolers have been suspended for making a gun symbol with their hand or drawing a gun in art class.

Put him on the no-fly list and send him to gitmo if he tries to set foot on U.S. soil again.