My external hard disk drive only works when I hit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Yeah, yeah, I know, but I'm first assuming the HDD is OK and something else mustn't be working properly. A user said the 700mA is may be the reason, I don't know, I have to test it.

Nevertheless, I've put in that very same enclosure, same IC a HDD of 5V and 1.0A and it works fine. So now I'm confused again. How can the HDD of 1.0A run in a USB2.0 enclosure?
Supposedly, USB2.0 can only give 500mA.
I've already pointed out in a previous post that the USB external I have, uses a split USB cable with 2 plugs to draw sufficient power from 2 ports.

The problem is probably as simple as you using the wrong USB cable.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
@rambomhtri Like you said, this is an internet forum where we discuss problems. You ask questions of people who KNOW what they're doing, and you listen to the answers. You are being very ignorant and are not listening to the answers. Disk-checking software cannot detect hardware problems. If your drive is clicking, most likely it means the head is beginning to stick. Software is designed to check the data on the disk, not the functionality of the actual hardware used to move the head and spin the disk.

What's the point in asking questions in the hopes of getting answers when you simply ignore the answers you receive? If you're such an expert, then don't bother asking the question. Especially when you ignore the responses from real experts.
Your second sentence is already wrong. And you're another arrogant. What's up with some of you guys? Relax, you're not superior to anyone else here, stop talking as the absolute masters.
I ask here, as in many other forums, to read opinions about problems I have, and then I think about those opinions and create my own opinion on what's may be happening with the device. You're all users, not experts. If I wanna go to an actual expert, well, first, he charges me money, and second, he works physically with my device, and tells me what's going on. So calm down, you're not an expert, you're another user, that have an opinion about something.

As I've already said, I've read all the comments here, I don't ignore any single one, and I'm not an ignorant, may be you are an arrogant ignorant, not me. Also, I don't know, and you neither, if it's gonna die or not, or if it's totally fine or not. For now, all the tests and software scans I've done have concluded it's OK.

"most likely it means" EXACTLY, "most likely", there you go. I've read many others "most likely" in other forums that were 100% wrong. So relax, stay with your "most likely" and don't act as if you were a total expert that can't be questioned.

As I've also already said, you have your opinion, fine, share it if you want with us. But don't expect me to worship your words, man, relax, I'll read it and appreciate your opinion, but when you start to act overbearing, I start losing interest in your thoughts and opinions.

And no, I'm not "such an expert", that's why I ask and seek different opinions of other users, that can help me create a solid opinion about what's going on.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Your second sentence is already wrong.
Actually derstrom8 was spot on. Lots of really, really smart people on this forum. I ask questions because I don't know the answer. There is a solid core of people her were I trust their advice. I can't remember once when someone was wrong. If you are no expert then you can't possibly be qualified to determine who is an expert. If you don't like the answers you are given then why ask? Just keep being stubborn, messing with your hard drive and wait and see what happens. That is what you wanted to fo anyway , so this whole thread was a waist of time.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I ask here, as in many other forums, to read opinions about problems I have, and then I think about those opinions and create my own opinion on what's may be happening with the device.
Except you are forming opinions that are completely contrary to what people here are saying. You are ignoring the advice given by the real experts.

You're all users, not experts. If I wanna go to an actual expert, well, first, he charges me money, and second, he works physically with my device, and tells me what's going on. So calm down, you're not an expert, you're another user, that have an opinion about something.
Many of the members here have 30+ years experience as EXPERTS, charging for their services to design, manufacture, and repair electronic appliances and devices. These members are not offering opinions, they are offering advice based on FACTS and ACTUAL prior EXPERIENCE. If they tell you something, you'd better believe that they know what they're talking about, unlike you who simply ignores professional advice and comes up with your own unfounded opinion.

As I've already said, I've read all the comments here, I don't ignore any single one, and I'm not an ignorant, may be you are an arrogant ignorant, not me. Also, I don't know, and you neither, if it's gonna die or not, or if it's totally fine or not. For now, all the tests and software scans I've done have concluded it's OK.
This here is a perfect example. It is a FACT that the disk-check software does not test for hardware issues. I told you that earlier, but of course that's not what you wanted to hear so you're ignoring it and assuming everything is ok just because some software says that the data integrity on the disk does not have errors. That is a prime example of being an ignorant fool.

"most likely it means" EXACTLY, "most likely", there you go. I've read many others "most likely" in other forums that were 100% wrong. So relax, stay with your "most likely" and don't act as if you were a total expert that can't be questioned.
As I've also already said, you have your opinion, fine, share it if you want with us. But don't expect me to worship your words, man, relax, I'll read it and appreciate your opinion, but when you start to act overbearing, I start losing interest in your thoughts and opinions.
And no, I'm not "such an expert", that's why I ask and seek different opinions of other users, that can help me create a solid opinion about what's going on.
"Most likely" means that in the past, a majority of the time it has happened. Of course it can be questioned, but should not be downright ignored as you seem to insist on doing. Nobody is asking you to "worship our words", but if you ask questions they expect that you at least take their advice into consideration, not ignore it completely. You have been very disrespectful and rude. You reap what you sew--If you're rude and disrespectful to others, don't expect them to treat you with politeness and respect. You have been very unpleasant. If you can't treat the members here with more respect then I suggest you leave, and take your snotty attitude with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.