My external hard disk drive only works when I hit it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
Oh, so is it really going to die?

I purchased an USB case to use this HDD. The laptop carrying that HDD died like 6 years ago, because of the screen. Also, I dropped it once from a table, and slammed to the ground like a WWE champion. May be that damaged the HDD. But you know, a month ago, when the USB case arrived, I inserted this HDD and worked fine. I formatted it and saved it 'till I wanted to use it. Now, suddenly that's happening.

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Don't even THINK of depositing valuable data on that drive!:eek::eek::eek: -- Sounds lake an old IBM/Hitachi Deskstar Deathstar:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best regards
HP
My Hitachi drives have outlived several other makes and are still going strong.

The drives I *ALWAYS* have problems with is Seagate.

Recently I got a few 1.5Tb Seagates dirt cheap because no one else would buy them.

Expecting the worst - I ran various diagnostics on them to see just how flaky - turns out they're re-badged Samsung drives.

My Hitachi drives have outlived several other makes and are still going strong.

The drives I *ALWAYS* have problems with is Seagate.

Recently I got a few 1.5Tb Seagates dirt cheap because no one else would buy them.

Expecting the worst - I ran various diagnostics on them to see just how flaky - turns out they're re-badged Samsung drives.
Back in the late 90's/early 'oughts' there was an infamous 'run' of IBM/Hitachi drives which, owing to poorly conceived firmware, tended to 'self-destruct' within the first 100 hours of operation --- If interested you may google "IBM Deathstar":D:D:D

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I know it may sound funny, but 1 month ago I put an old hard disk drive from a laptop in my external USB case. Plugged it to my PC, formatted to NTFS and saved it. Today I wanted to use for the "first time" (as an external hard drive), but when I plugged it in, it started to make a noise every second, like a "click" or something, like trying to turn on. My PC was not recognizing anything. Then I hit it with my hand, and suddenly, it started to work, my PC recognized it and it was working fine.

I did this 5 times, and every single one was the same. I plug it in, it starts to make a noise every second, in a loop, and when I hit it, it starts working normally.

What can be happening?

It seems it needs extra power to start the engine, lol, in form of slaps, :D

Should I trust this HDD to move and save photos and stuff?
A HDD clicking is in its death throes.

Recently I had a PSU wore its electrolytics out - the rough DC confused a couple of the drives.

A Samsung drive started clicking - it seemed OK once I replaced the PSU, and passed various diagnostics, but when I put files on it the allocation chains got tangled up.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Back in the late 90's/early 'oughts' there was an infamous 'run' of IBM/Hitachi drives which, owing to poorly conceived firmware, tended to 'self-destruct' within the first 100 hours of operation --- If interested you may google "IBM Deathstar":D:D:D

Best regards
HP
Wouldn't be surprised if that was about the same time Amstrad sued Seagate because their crappy drives were ruining sales of the computers.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
This is getting interesting... I've just scanned it with the official tool for my Hitachi hard disk drive, WinDFT, and the quick scan said it was healthy, no errors. I'm doing the extended scanner now.

The HDD was alright, I don't think it just got broken itself...

This is getting interesting... I've just scanned it with the official tool for my Hitachi hard disk drive, WinDFT, and the quick scan said it was healthy, no errors. I'm doing the extended scanner now.

The HDD was alright, I don't think it just got broken itself...
The diagnostic software will not likely detect spindle motor problems prior to frank malfunction (e.g. intractable seizure, low or unstable AV, etc...) --- again - please don't trust it!!!

Best regards
HP:)

Dropping is a reason to replace

There MIGHT be something else going on here. Does the drive case have external power? If it does you probably need 1.5 to 2 Amps. Check the drive for the 5V power requirement.

When a lot of these drives came out, they came with "Y-cables" These try to double the Standard USB output.

When you mentioned "ALL", not enough power available from USB came to mind. It take more power to start a drive than to keep it rotating.

rambomhtri

Joined Nov 9, 2015
The diagnostic software will not likely detect spindle motor problems prior to frank malfunction (e.g. intractable seizure, low or unstable AV, etc...) --- again - please don't trust it!!!

Best regards
HP:)
I've dropped my WD HDD from twice my height, down stairs, and I still use it. That happened 2 years ago. I don't know what happened to this one, it was working nice until 2 days ago...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I purchased an USB case to use this HDD.
I think most of the answers have missed this detail. I agree with every answer that a dodgy hard drive is very risky for any storage that isn't backed up somewhere else. A sick hard drive usually doesn't take long to become a dead hard drive.

A badly performing USB case is another matter. You may have a cable that's not so great, a bad connector or two in the case, where it connects to the USB cable or where the pins of the hard drive connect to the case. The USB cases I have bought were something like $5. In other words, these are not high quality devices. Mine have always worked, to my amazement.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
A badly performing USB case is another matter. You may have a cable that's not so great, a bad connector or two in the case, where it connects to the USB cable or where the pins of the hard drive connect to the case.
OP said drive was clicking. There are no moving parts in a USB case or cable.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
True, and that sounds ominous, but I think I'd try this drive in another enclosure or internal bay before passing judgement on it.
IIRC, the OP stated that he has abused this drive and others, but continues to use them. It further appears he is determined to ignore all of the common sense advice being offered and continue to use a drive that is clicking and failing intermittently. That's his perogative; as are the consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.