My crazy water company

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by spinnaker, Feb 26, 2013.

1. spinnaker

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    I just got a certified letter from my water company. It usually means I forgot to pay my bill which I do fairly infrequently but when forgotten I always pay it in full as soon as it is realized it is forgotten. So have 30 years of payments and they have always gotten their money.

So I checked my payment and I see that I paid but must have paid late and forgot to include the penalty of like $9.00. It probably cost them $4 or $5 to send out the blasted letter.

And if it is the usual letter, it is very threatening. Talking about shutting your water off. All for $9. Simply incredible.

Yeah I should pay on time but what is wrong with a friendly reminder a couple weeks after the bill is due?

2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    as long as you got a wrench it won't be off for long. When I was younger it was my job for wait for the water dept to turn off the water, then I'd go turn it back on. Did that for like 3-4 years. We paid the bill and all its just a matter of timing. I was 10 or so.

jaygatsby likes this.
  3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    pay your bills on time you dead beat ;)
    $9 x the number of dead beats in pittsburgh will add up very quickly.

jaygatsby likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's all done by computer now, and computers don't have common sense.

5. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012

I just paid off our Chase card, in full. ($3,000+ some pennies). Yesterday, we got a bill for $3.74.

They know what they can do with THAT bill.

6. bretm

Feb 6, 2012
    Around here they use a padlock on the shut-off valve.

7. jaygatsby

Nov 23, 2011
    This post is a clear violation of this forum's terms of service.

8. killivolt

Jan 10, 2010
    maxpower097 likes this.
  9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    For that I'll tell you one of my other exploits with the utilities. Heres 2 funny ones.

1. I'm about 12, I get a nice bengerman pellet gun. Super powerful. I pump it up 10 times put it about an inch from he old electric meters that had the thick plastic cover with the spinning disc. Well I popped it and it put a small hole in the side of the meter. Well the pellet got inside the plastic sheild and wedged into the disc. So for the next year or so we were getting electric bills for $5-$10 a month for a 4 bedroom 2 story house in FL summer.

2. I'm about 16 and moved out into my own place with a room mate. Since we were still in HS having our own place and parents who didn't care it was pretty much a party zone all the time. The crazyness we had at that house, and OMG the parties. Well we were 16 and had jack for money except what we made working PT and what we hustled. And in FL you grow up learning to hustle. Well we didn't have a phone hooked up at all. But we did when we moved in 8 months prior. Well were all pretty much wasted around midnight and the phone just starts to ring. We all look at each other like WTF? I go over and pick it up and hear 2 people talking. I listen in a bit and say wow that was wierd. I go back a hour later and pick it up and theirs a dial tone. So we make some phone calls and get a phone. Well the phone seems to ring quite a bit and sometimes we would just listen in cause we didn't know what was going on. After about 5 conversations I recognize 2 voices on the phones and it turns out they were fellow hustlers we knew that lived about 2 miles away. We all thought what the heck are the odds of this happening? We figured probably 100,000:1 with the amount of houses in that area. A week later some "kid" (20's) knocks on our door and acts all friendly and starts up talking about people we knew but none of us knew him. So we basically told him get the hell out of our yard or I'm gonna call the cops! Well turns out he was the cops. Found out that day they did the same thing at "our other friends" house and got him and arrested him for being stupid. What we figured out from a sheriff friend of ours is the most likely tried to tap both our phones and crossed the lines not knowing we didn't have a phone line.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You were 16 and had the attention of the police? Bad juju!

11. luvv

May 26, 2011
    Park over the meter..they love that.

12. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    It could never happen. Meter is 10 meters or more from the road inside my house.

13. StayatHomeElectronics

Sep 25, 2008
    Never say never. I recall multiple stories when I lived in Pittsburgh of cars, trucks and busses ultimately parking inside someones house...

#12 likes this.
  14. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Yah I know! Thankfully I gave up my bad ways and became a legit productive citizen at 26

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I simply left Indianapolis, where the ghost of Officer Perkins is probably still watching and waiting for a chance to bust me.

Bad case of "black and white" police thinking. At 16, I stuck my tongue out at a radar cop, so he decided I must be a criminal that needed to be caught and imprisoned. He pulled me over every time he saw me, even when I was walking home from school! Lessons learned: 55 year old cops can be just as childish as a 16 year old boy, and NEVER draw attention to yourself when a cop is looking.

(I still haven't become a legitimate, productive citizen.:rolleyes:)

16. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Hola spinnaker

What the system does is to claim for a debt whether you are a forgetful good guy or a dishonest debtor. They do not need to struggle for your fidelity as a customer thus they just claim. No subtleties for that.

I realized how different they treat me when I call to my mobile phone provider and for any reason I tell the lady that I have more time as a customer than her as an employee. They know I can go to another company in less than 48 hours keeping my phone number.

Life is too short spinnaker. I believe there are better things to worry. Enjoy!! :)

17. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    See down here when we were growing up you had to be really bad to get LEO attention. At the time everyone was watching Miami Vice while we lived it. Were you here in the 80's and early 90's 12?

18. spinnaker

Oct 29, 2009
    You're right it is too short. That is why I don't want to go chasing down to my freakin post office for a lousy late payment letter! :)

Actually I have learned to ignore them. :)

But also my water bill could be cheaper if they didn't send out all of those blasted certified letters right off. ;)

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yes, but I wasn't paying attention. Did something interesting happen?

maxpower097 likes this.
  20. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    ....................;) FL was truly a paradise back then. The world was ours! Barring the total miami vice transformation of FL it still had the old FL feel at the beaches, everywhere. It was before the great NY migration of the 90's and 2000's. Fortunes to be made betting against the buccaneers! Gasperilla was truly fun and not "Drunken Yuppie Fest". The good neighborhoods were good and the bad bad. Now every blocks different. You have gang houses 2 blocks from $600,000 houses. If you ever got into trouble you could always just buy your way out.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013