my computer is not working HELP NEEDED!!!

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by BlakesterGamer, Sep 17, 2016.

1. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016
    Ok so I know I have posted this many times on the forums but I never am able to get the dang thing to work. I can not afford a new computer cuz I am a teenager but anyway i custom built a pc with a old compaq case and a dell Inspiron 545 motherboard core 2 duo cpu 4 gigs of ram and also this is the second motherboard i gone through with this pc and i also gone through to powersupply's but i got the psu for free. I know for a fact the power supply works and the motherboard is brand new so i do not think it is the mother board i am using the same power switch that came with the case and on the dell inspiron 545 power switch it has usb ports on them so i think the next step is to get a new power switch. Also please do not comment or judge about my grammer plz on the last post 100% of the comments sounded like this(your grammer sucks get your grammer straight kid)

2. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    If you knew that your grammar sucked, why didn't you try to get your grammar straight? At least your post isn't just one long sentence.

3. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016

4. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    Sorry, it's tough enough fixing them when they are right in front of you. With you not being able to clearly and adequately describe the problem, I would say your chances of fixing the thing are approximately zero.

5. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The way you speak and write conveys a powerful message, and the message you are sending is not a good one. Just saying something is not working is not very much information to go on. Did it ever work? How far does it get in the boot sequence? Can you get to the BIOS setup screen? Try to look at the problem from our perspective and throw us a bone.

6. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Parts that were once good can become bad. Parts that are new can sometimes be bad. I once bought a SuperMicro motherboard that was defective, though it worked well enough to boot and do most things.

Give us more history (I didn't read your previous posts). Other than swapping the power supply and motherboard, have you changed anything from the once working system? What made you think they were bad?

Any teenager should be able to compose sentences and use paragraphs well enough to communicate. Use proper capitalization and use don't use slang (i.e. cuz); it'll make you seem more intelligent.

Compaq and Dell are companies and should be capitalized like proper nouns. CPU and PSU are acronyms and should be all caps.

Get used to people correcting your grammar. One of my calculus professors in college used to give markdowns on tests for incorrect grammar.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  7. TQFP44

Sep 3, 2016
    Decoding your post would suggest the PC will not power on ? The power switch on a PC is usually a simple low volt push to make , easy enough to test , unplug from the mains and check any fuses first.

8. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016
    yes it did work until i tried putting a graphics card in

9. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016
    ok besides that i changed the hard drive from 80GB to 250GB but i know the hd works my friend tested it for me on his pc

10. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    If you can get the PC back to a working condition, then you can change one thing at a time to localize the failure. This is a classic debugging technique. Realize that your chassis represents an entirely different ecosystem. What works in your friend's PC may or may not work in yours.

11. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016
    i am not sure but my friend is out of town now but i will take the pc to the computer store tomorrow they are not going to fix it but they are just going to try to find out what the problem is

12. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    All the posts about your grammar being atrocious apparently haven't sank in yet. What does "i" mean? What does "pc" mean? And you are back to using one long sentence and no punctuation.

Perhaps you would be better served in keeping your PC in its "non-working" state and instead picking up a book on grammar, or a book on the proper usage of the English langauge. I know humanity would be better served.

13. paulktreg

Distinguished Member

Jun 2, 2008
    i means I.
    pc means personal computer.

You know perfectly well what these mean so why ask?

.. and it's sunk not sank.
    Is beginning a sentence with And PC? Pun intended.

This is a technical and not an English language forum so let's stop pulling up members on simple grammatical errors and try to help?

If you can't do that then ignore instead of moaning.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  14. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Some thinks is what a power on problem? Mebbe it knows you. Tried none with grsphics? Cuz try that first I would.

TQFP44 likes this.
  15. TQFP44

Sep 3, 2016
    The problem with posts and questionable grammar is that some members will not even read the OP's problem, Blakestr..... members don't want to waste their time and expertise with several messages to just find out what you mean.

16. roadey_carl

Jun 5, 2009
    If you unplug the PC and remove the graphics card. Re-seat the RAM and Clear the BIOS. ( I explained how to clear the BIOS last time, do you remember how?)

Now leave the Graphics Card out and use the Onboard Graphics, see if it boots up ....

17. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Like I sez!

18. BlakesterGamer

Thread Starter Member

Apr 20, 2016
    ok i will try thay

19. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    How far in the boot process was the computer getting? Even without a working display, keyboard, memory, or hard drive, BIOS can usually give errors via beep codes. They vary by manufacturer and BIOS vendor, but you can probably get information from Dell or the motherboard manufacturer.

20. ci139

Jul 11, 2016
    -- you may also need to reconfigure it for your existing harware to work - - - some boards need to tell if to use integrated(ON-Board) or AGP (you should be very careful inserting it - so the pins are properly aligned with good contact - and not twisting or bending the AGP card - not exposing it to ESD . . . those things are delicate . . . + there may be dip-switches or jumpers on your motherboard you need to reconfigure - ****)

- **** get your motherboard manual - - otherwise you're just wasting your time