Mux help

Mossen

Joined Dec 21, 2010
Hello everyone
I am fairly new to electronics, and I'm looking for an IC, maybe its called a 'mux'...I need 4 outputs. Basically I want to be able to send it a pulse and then it will change which output is high. After it gets to output 4, it will reset to output 1 on the next pulse and continue from there. This is not for high-speed switching or anything, the user will be pressing a button to advance the selection.

What is this called, and does anyone have any recommendations as to what kind to buy, or just an idea to point me in the right direction? Something in the 5V range. DigiKey has like 1000 different muxes and I don't know if that's even what I'm looking for: NON-INVERT, DECODER/DE-MUX, IC 3:8 LINE DECOD/DEMUX, etc... - I don't know what these mean, just want something that works as I described above...

Thanks!
Mossen

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sounds like you need something like a 74HC4017 or CD4017. It's a 5-stage Johnson counter. Only 1 output will be high at a time.

You'd connect the 5th output to the RESET input, that way the counter will have the 1st output high, then the 2nd, 3rd, then the 4th. When the 5th output goes high, the RESET gets activated which causes the counter to reset with the 1st output high.