must-have book recommendations needed

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hunterage2000, Jan 14, 2013.

1. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    Hello, can anyone recommend must-have electronics books, both theory and practical?

I know alot of you guys on this forum have good experience with the amount of problems that are solved and I'd like some insight into how you got to be so knowledgeable.

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I really like the Sedra/Smith Microelectronic Circuits book. It is really useful for a lot of areas in electronics...

It's a must have...

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
  4. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Art of Electronics.. (Paul Horowitz)

5. hunterage2000

Thread Starter Active Member

May 2, 2010
    I found Practical Electronics for Inventors (Schertz) useful, it goes through the essentials with clear circuit diagrams. I am mainly looking for the practical side of electronics with tips you'd never think of.

6. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    So, not
    ?

Not a book, but very useful for microcontroller circuits, made by Microchip, so it will be using PICs...
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/01146B.pdf

7. ramancini8

Jul 18, 2012
    I am the Ron Mancini who edited the book referenced by t06arfe, and while that book is helpful, there is a lot of free information on the semiconductor companies' web sites. Look at their application notes and turorials. Anything by Jim Williams is good reading and true. Try EDN's archives; there are a lot of my old columns there that contain a wealth of practical hints and a lot of other tech info. You need a copy of the Linear Applications Handbook published by National Semiconductor in the early 80s, the early Burr-Brown, Analog Devices, and Philbrick basic application notes.

Before that you should gain a strong understanding of passive components, circuit analysis, and active compenents, and this knowledge can be gleaned from almost any old circuits textbook.

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  9. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    a copy of ARRL's Radio Amateurs Handbook is a treasure trove. I have a war-torn 1976 edition

10. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Radio amateur myself, after buying two different editions of that ARRL Handbook I decided to stop long time ago.

It comes with a little of almost everything but nothing is really treated in depth. Sorry to say but what you find in Wikipedia usually exceeds any of their articles in detail.

Along the time it lost most of its focus in practical building of circuits, with the exception of some auxiliary circuits.

Not worth the expense at all.

11. Gibson486

Jul 20, 2012
    I hated that Sedra and Smith book in college....but after graduation, it has been a priceless tool.