must be my lucky day

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Wow I can't say we ever threw anything out. Of course that was also back in the day of those giant desktop scopes that made it easy to fix most anything. Mulitmeters were analogue.

You know bug that the right thing to do is at the very least offer it back to your school? They may have said anything in the pile is yours to take but I doubt they kenw this one was so easily fixable. The right thing to fdo is tell them what you did. If they say keep it then you can sleep at night and very proud that you not only fixed an expensive scope but did the right thing too.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think if bug just call dibs the scope is his without any worry.

Nice find!
Well we disagree. No telling who wrote that on the screen. It very well could have been a first year student. You need to ask yourself, what if this were your company. and some employee wrote on an expensive piece of equipment and another found it and fixed it in 5 minutes? I am sure you would appreciate the second employee told you that they fixed a piece of equipment someone else thought unfixable. You might decide to let the second employee keep it but that should be your choice.

This is almost the same as leaving your wallet in a public place. That does not mean it is free for the taking.

Sorry but this is simply not a case of finders keepers, especially for an expensive piece of equipment like the 475a.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
I say if someone threw it out thinking it was unusable then it's their loss - if they want another one several have sold on fee-bay recently for less than $200 working. Maybe bug can sell it back for $100 and get another on fee-bay to fix!

Nice find - a 200MHz analogue scope is more than most people need! I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 500MHz or more too.

It's nice to see a good scope rescued from the recycle plant.

I have a recycle center in my neighborhood. I once found a Fender Tube Amplifier that just needed a new tube. I replaced the tube, and it worked great... sold it on Craigslist for $50 less than most of them were going for... everyone's happy! :D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You guys are unbelevible. I am sure glad you don't work for me. This is not a public junk pile where no one knows. the owner. Bug knows the owner and the right thing to do is let the owner know a mistake may have been made.

I was recently on the owner's end in a similar situation. I forgot to lock the property locker at my health club. Some kind person noticed and turned my wallet into the office. With tindel's logic, the person would have kept the wallet, my cell and used my key to take my car figuring my lose for not locking the locker. I am just glad someone like tindal did not find my property.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
I say if someone threw it out thinking it was unusable then it's their loss - if they want another one several have sold on fee-bay recently for less than $200 working. Maybe bug can sell it back for $100 and get another on fee-bay to fix!

Nice find - a 200MHz analogue scope is more than most people need! I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 500MHz or more too.

It's nice to see a good scope rescued from the recycle plant.

I have a recycle center in my neighborhood. I once found a Fender Tube Amplifier that just needed a new tube. I replaced the tube, and it worked great... sold it on Craigslist for $50 less than most of them were going for... everyone's happy! :D

I just bought the OWON SDS-7102 scope, but I noticed that Ebay is loaded with scopes selling for Hundreds, that need repair. I put several in my watch list, thinking that one day; I'd know how to do the repairs.:eek:

After studying, I realized that would take several years.:D

If a guy really knew what he was doing, I think he could buy up those and repair them in his spare time, and make some good bucks.

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
You guys are unbelevible. I am sure glad you don't work for me. This is not a public junk pile where no one knows. the owner. Bug knows the owner and the right thing to do is let the owner know a mistake may have been made.

I was recently on the owner's end in a similar situation. I forgot to lock the property locker at my health club. Some kind person noticed and turned my wallet into the office. With tindel's logic, the person would have kept the wallet, my cell and used my key to take my car figuring my lose for not locking the locker. I am just glad someone like tindal did not find my property.
You're talking two completely different situations!

It sounds like bug got this out of his school recycle bin - it was on it's way out the door... he salvaged it... huge difference. It's not on him that the school was tossing it. Now if he had found it in the back corner of a class room and STOLE it and fixed it... now we're talking theft and I wouldn't condone it.

Stealing something from the school in the back corner of a room is more analogous to taking your billfold out of the unlocked locker, stealing your car, your house, etc. For the record, if I found your (or anyone else's) billfold in a public locker, I would bring the billfold to an authority of some sort, or simply lock the locker for you. Now, if I found your billfold in the trash can with a load of $20's I might think twice about it ;) - but I would bring it to an authority realizing it was a mistake.

This scope being in a recycle bin was not a mistake.

Now if there's more to the story not covered in this thread then maybe you enter a gray area - but from the info I have bug's in the clear.

Spinaker - Sounds like I'm glad I don't work for you! :p :D

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I wouldn't be giving it back, there was every chance that Bug (or the technician) could have wasted an hour taking it apart and then finding that it wasn't an easy fix.
Also if you pick something out of the bin on the principle that if it's easy to fix you will return it, what would be the point of taking it anyway?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
You're talking two completely different situations!

This scope being in a recycle bin was not a mistake.
Not really but I may have stretched it a bit but my scenario was to demonstrate people make mistakes. While place it in the bin may not have been a mistake, the evaluation sure was.

I for one would have to bring it to the attention of someone. Since I did take the time to look at it I would expect to be told that I could keep it but I would also understand if they decided to put the scope back into inventory.

And no I am not trying to rain on bug's parade. Whatever happens, I hope he winds up with the scope, it was a great find.

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Yeah, you're trying to rain on bug's parade by coming up with absurd situations to back your absurd claim.

bug picked a junk pile and found a diamond. That's why people let other people pick thru their junk: so someone can make use of their junk.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Here in Australia with the high cost of geting electronics repaired, most of it gets dumped. I hang around a scrap place & its amazing what gets thrown out these days, with very little wrong with it. Its just easier to replace it.