'Muscular' Synchros...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Kind friends

The following question arose on another (rather obscure) thread -- Inasmuch as I find the subject of the inquiry to be both intriguing and, likely, of broader interest - I thought to re-post it here:

plz say if it's possible to use automobile alternator as selsyn if I bring out both rotor leads and all three of the stator leads?
Note: The above alludes to the common 1Φ rotor/3Φ stator arrangement (à la the GE 2J1G1 and it's ilk).

FWIW - My thought is that difficulty, if manifest, will owe to disparity in rotor winding patterns -- Any thoughts/insight will be greatly appreciated!:)

Best regards
HP

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
It would most likely work but would not be an efficient motor. Magnetize the rotor and create a rotating field in the stator is all you need, but the design is for generating and not motoring.
I would think it should be quite a robust motor, just not frugal with the amps.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That would be very close to the type of synchronous motor of the past that were up to the 100hp range, the motor was essentially a induction motor with the addition of a rotor winding with two slip rings, the motor was ran up as a standard induction motor and the slip frequency was monitored via the slip rings, when the slip freq reached around 5 cycles, DC was injected into the armature and the motor came up to synchronism.
I don't see why a standard alternator would not run as a synchronous motor?
Max.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
First of all thanks for your replies!:)

I apologize that there seems to be some misunderstanding...
Based upon her (@Aleph(0) 's) use of the term 'Selsyn' I take it that the question relates to the functionality of automotive alternators as Synchros -- As opposed to synchronous motors...

FWIW, here's another link to a discussion of said devices (found in AAC's 'text book' section):)

Again, many thanks for these and any future replies -- apologies for the ambiguity:oops:...

Very best regards
HP:)

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
As per the AAC article direct powered synchros are usually limited to low power by the lack of efficiency in converting electrical power to torque. The phases create a positional 'null' by the subtraction/addition of fields that require a high ratio of steady power/response power to maintain on position.
http://www.maritime.org/doc/neets/mod15.pdf
http://www.maritime.org/doc/pdf/synchros.pdf
Note Page 44

I worked on the old BB-61 class ships in the 80's while they were being recommissioned. Almost all the original gun systems used a synchro control transformer and Amplidyne for actual movements with synchro transmitter inputs from the master gyro compass to correct for pitch, roll and yaw.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
HP thanks and THANKS TO EVERYONE:)!

Ok so I tried it and it sorta works but cuz of six pole rotor it's lame:( I have to turn it real slowly or it can jump 60 degrees to the next sync point:mad: I say it is cool that it transmits 80 foot pounds of torque though:cool:! (Sorry cuz I don't have a metric torque wrench). I say maybe it would work better at different frequency and voltage cuz I'm using 90v peak 60hz sine wave for rotor excitation. So anyhow I'm thinking about transforming it so I can get _advantage_ one to the other:cool: So it would convert low torque to high torque one way but the other way it's hard to understand what high torque to low torque means when there's no change in angular velocity so power is lost but not just dissipated:confused: So if anyone is saying I have too much time on my hands I say it's most fun I've had without a hangover and remorse;)!

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I have to turn it real slowly or it can jump 60 degrees to the next sync point:mad:
I believe you'll find that it is excessive acceleration (as opposed to AV) that produces the described undesirable operation...

I say it is cool that it transmits 80 foot pounds of torque though:cool:!
I agree!:cool:

I say maybe it would work better at different frequency and voltage cuz I'm using 90v peak 60hz sine wave for rotor excitation
The greatest frequency consistent with acceptable hysteresis losses will produce the greatest torque -- Of course 'the rub', as it were, lies in the adjective 'acceptable' --- For all that, I assert that the described system will produce significantly better results at higher frequencies (Somewhere between 200 Hz and 600 Hz):) --- The optimal EMF is, of course, a function of frequency...

So anyhow I'm thinking about transforming it so I can get _advantage_ one to the other:cool: So it would convert low torque to high torque one way but the other way it's hard to understand what high torque to low torque means when there's no change in angular velocity so power is lost but not just dissipated:confused:
IMNSHO Amplification makes more sense than 'transformation' in this context -- Moreover, I daresay you will find musings upon 'compliance' with (physical) conservation law less frustrating following formation of a definite scheme;):)

So if anyone is saying I have too much time on my hands I say it's most fun I've had without a hangover and remorse;)!
Hold that thought!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

All the best

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
IMNSHO Amplification makes more sense than 'transformation' in this context -- Moreover, I daresay you will find musings upon 'compliance' with (physical) conservation law less frustrating following formation of a definite scheme;):)
Maybe she wants it to stay bidirectional? That way the reciver reflects some of the feel of the load back to the transmitter. I know steering systems for some mechanized armored military vehicles used that principle. HP I'm concerned! Plz shoot me an E.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Maybe she wants it to stay bidirectional? That way the reciver reflects some of the feel of the load back to the transmitter.
I hear ya! It may well be for her heuristic aircraft project{s} -- Speaking for myself, I'd want plenty of 'redundancy' - Well in excess of regulatory requirements -- Vehicles are just plain safer when under control;):D

HP I'm concerned! Plz shoot me an E.
If you have something to say to me - please say it here:cool: -- OTOH, If you fear it would be deleted then perhaps it should remain unsaid:rolleyes:

Best regards

PS -- Hey, @Aleph(0) -- How about it?:cool:

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
I hear ya! It may well be for her heuristic aircraft project{s}
I worry that she's on track to avoid old age! I mean I don't doubt her engineering skill but test piloting experimental aircraft is riding for a fall, literally!:(

If you have something to say to me - please say it here:cool: -- OTOH, If you fear it would be deleted then perhaps it should remain unsaid:rolleyes:
I don't know what's deleteable or not but it's not offensive. But I'll take the hint and suffer in silence:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hu Róbert PCB Layout , EDA & Simulations 1