Multisim to ultiboard problem!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by NornIron, Jan 30, 2014.

1. NornIron

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Hi folks,
    I've a bit of a problem transfering a circuit from multisim to ultiboard. I am using a LM393 comparator on an interface circuit, my problem is that i need to use both of the comparators in the chip. I picked A then B and it places the two comparators on the board, but when i transfer ito ultiboard i have two chips instead of one!

I know google is the best method for answers but not today unfortunately!
    I've added a photo
    Cheers for the advice

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Well of course you have two IC's in your layout. You have two in the schematic, don't you?

U2B is not a part of U1A. U1B is the other half.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. NornIron

Nov 19, 2013
    Thanks for the reply Ernie!
    Excuse my ignorance as I've only used the program a handful of times!
    I have managed to transfer the component to ultiboard as one component thanks to your advice!
    I have attached a photo of the board which i am trying to replicate, the relay which was used is discontinued but i have sourced another and used control_2C to simulate the relay although i cannot assign a footprint to the component, i have looked at component wizard but got lost near the end,
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks!

4. NornIron

Nov 19, 2013
    Just to let you know it was the mapping of pins that confused me, but i think i have it now fingers crossed, thanks again!!

5. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Mapping is usually 1 to 1 in any system, so if you have a schematic part with pins 1 2 and 3 then the footprint in the layout needs to have pads 1 2 and 3. Some programs are less or more strict: some let you have unused pins on either, some want each and every pin to pad to link up.

If you stick with PCB layout at all you need to figure out how to create your own footprint libraries. Either the parts you want to use don't have a footprint, or you want the footprint different, or something. Now I usually just make my own footprints for everything as I don't have t worry about what assumptions (or errors) were made by the guy who made the library.

Keep at it, keep asking here, and when you are done make gerbers and check THOSE. Gerbers never lie, and GC Preview is a freebie download.

NornIron likes this.