Multisim or Proteus? Which should I choose?

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by maxpower097, Nov 19, 2010.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I want to learn one of these simulators. Proteus seems more into the MCU's where as Multisim seems more about components and circuit layout. Which should I learn first? I've managed to get a switched LED working in both pretty quick. What would be the drawbacks of each over the other? I do like proteus because it has pretty much all the PIC's but PIC32. Where as Mutlisim only has PIC16. Or is there some 3rd option I should be looking at? Any insight into the limitations and capabilities I may be overlooking please offer up some advice. I don't want to try to learn both but if I have to I will. My immediate purposes will most likely be doing labs on hardware stuff non MCU related. Later I plan on trying to proteus the PIC24 but till then I need to learn my hardware first and I'll just use a dev board for my MCU work.

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    If you do a lot with uC's, proteus, otherwise, Multisim 11 does similar for quite a few processors as well, and is much more common from my experience.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  3. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    After working with them both a little bit more Multisim seems to be much more complex and many more variables to play with. I want to do the ins and outs of the 555 too and multisim seems to do that really well. All in all I imagine if I learn one the other will be 10 times easier to learn so it doesn't matter. From what your saying though Multisim seems to be the industry standard? Also does anyone know if its possible to integrate mplab with multisim? Just simulate output pins?