Multiplying/dividing an integer resulting in a float and displaying on LCD problems

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Jswale, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jswale

Thread Starter Member

Jun 30, 2015
    I have a 10 bit ADC value and I am trying to multiply/divide it and then display the resulting float. The float displays 0.00 and doesn't change, this has something to do with the calculations. perhaps it is because I am trying to multiply/divide a 10 bit binary number and I need to break it down into a decimal?...But I have declared it as an integer so I would have thought the calculations would be fine and the result would be e.g 7.65 and then that is broken into a char ready to be displayed.

Here is the relevant code;

Code (C):
    1. unsigned int ADC_result;
    2. float ADC_result_new;
    3. float Power_result_new;
    4. float Power_result;
    5. unsigned char temp[6];
    6. unsigned char temp_p[6];
    9. void main (void)
    10. {
    11. while(1)
    12.     {  
    14.         ADCON0bits.GO=1;                                    //Sets Go_Done bit
    15.         while(ADCON0bits.GO==1);                            //Waits for conversion to finish
    16.         __delay_us(10);
    17.         ADC_result=ADRESL+(ADRESH*256);                        //gets 10 bit result
    19.         //ADC_result=0xAF;        //Test purposes COMMENT OUT BEFORE BUILD.
    21.         Power_result=(ADC_result*(23/1023));                    //*(5/1023))/5)*current)*230)/1000);     changes ADC value to power in Watt
    23.         lcd_cmd(0x80);                                        //Start of Line 1
    24.         lcd_WriteStr("Input V = ");
    25.         ADC_result_new =((ADC_result/1023)*5);                //changes digital to analog
    27.         //At this point both ADC/Power are ready to be displayed, both floats.
    29.         sprintf(temp, "%4.2f", ADC_result_new);              
    30.         lcd_WriteStr(temp);                                    //writes the value (0-5.0V)
    32.         lcd_cmd(0xC0);                                        //Starts Line 2
    33.         lcd_WriteStr("Power W = ");
    34.         sprintf(temp_p, "%4.2f", Power_result);             //Turns float into a ASCII char that can be displayed
    35.         lcd_WriteStr(temp_p);                                 //write it
    37.     }//while
    38. }    //main
    41. Cheers
    42. JSwale

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    There are several reasons why the result is always zero.

First, you are dividing ADC_RESULT by 1023. The result will always be less than 0. Since all operands are integers, the result will be an integer. Try something like:
    Code (Text):
    1. ADC_result_new=(float(ADC_result)*5)/1023)

3. Jswale

Thread Starter Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Ahh I assumed that when the calculations are being done internally (although the input, "ADC_result" is an integer) the number will not be stay as an integer and the final result will just be outputted as the operand specified, (ADC_result_new is a float).

Changed ADC_result to a float and all is well!