Multiplying a DC voltage without a transformer?

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
I know an AC voltage can be multiplied and converted to a high dc voltage using a voltage multiplier.

Is there any way to multiply a DC or pulsed DC voltage to say 20kV without the use of a transformer???

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Going from a low voltage to 20kv wouldn't really be practical without the use of a transformer.

You could use switched capacitor networks to boost DC, but it certainly would take a while, and you'd lose power in the switching/charging/etc.

electronice123

Joined Oct 10, 2008
OK. I was just wondering because I have never seen or heard of any other way than by using a transformer. Seems to me it would be just as easy to use a small inverter and voltage multiplier, or a transformer like you mentioned.

Thanks!

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, you can use switched inductors in a boost configuration to go up maybe 20x or so your input voltage pretty easily. But if you want to go from 12v to 20kv, that's really a different ballgame.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And you can use a diode multiplier for lower increases, like X2 or X3. It requires a switching oscillator though, but that is an easy option nowadays.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
Is there any way to multiply a DC or pulsed DC voltage to say 20kV without the use of a transformer???[/QUOTE said:
Yes. Use a vandegraaff generator that uses a DC motor to run the belt.

Good Luck.

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
LOL! The Van De Graff generator is a perfectly reasonable answer, considering nobody said how much current was needed. Thanks. Your imagination struck me as funny and I appreciate a laugh.