Multiplex 16 led using non-micro, TTL

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mrdouble, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Mrdouble

Thread Starter Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Hi guys,

My project is pretty straight forward I think. I have incremental encoder and it has more detents than I want. My idea was to make a circle of LED's (16) around the encoder to indicate position. I don't want 16 traces wrapping around the pcb. My idea was to use 4 bits of 2 decade counters (would give 8 traces) but my lack of digital study is shining through. Any ideas or directions would be great. Thank you in advance
    Micheal

2. Mrdouble

Thread Starter Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I should add that I don't need the counting portion. I have that figured out... I think :)

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    If by decade counters you mean Johnson counters, then I'm pretty sure I understand what you are describing. BUT, a block diagram or schematic is important. It is the way these things are discussed, and save tons of Q & A picking through details.

ak

Mrdouble likes this.
  4. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Is this the circuit you're looking for? Or perhaps you can put 2 pcs of 4017 onto the LED display board and save you a 4 bit counter.

multiplex 16 LED.PNG
    Allen

Mrdouble likes this.
  5. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    LED brightness is an issue. Two 4017's will do this, but a 4017 is good for only 4 mA. One of the two counters has to have its outputs inverted, and that can be done with NPN drivers. But the other counter outputs needs non-inverting current amplifiers, or the LEDs won't be very bright. I don't remember the current sink rating of an HC part, but the same probably is somewhat true for the circuit in post #4.

ak

Mrdouble likes this.