Multiple RFID Antenna

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by danzman, Aug 28, 2013.

1. danzman

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2013
    I have a project that reads rfid tags from different locations. To minimize cost the project will only have one reader module. Multiple antennae (open circuit) will be connected to this reader, but only one will be active at a time. The question is can I use an NPN transistor array to close the circuit on each antenna. The transistor will be used as a switch and will be driven by an LED Matrix driver (e.g. maxim 7221). The controller will be an arduino which will poll the switches(the transistors) in a loop fashion. Is this doable? Is there a better switch other than a transistor array?
    If anyone who can help me with this project please do not hesitate to comment on this.
    Thanks,
    d

2. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Probably not.

Please post some details of of your reader. I suspect that it is a transmitter that watches the current to the output stage. Multiplexing something like that would be difficult, but you might be able to pull it off using good quality relays.

That's only speculation -who made the reader and what's the part number? The more information you post, the more likely that somebody can help you. Manual, schematics, specifications will all help.