Multiple resistors or one trimmer pot?

jerseyguy1996

Joined Feb 2, 2008
I am building the circuit listed on page 5 here:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ug/sluu023b/sluu023b.pdf

Resistors R12, R14, and R19 are part of a divider that specifies the Bulk charge and Float charge characteristics. I am shooting for a bulk charge voltage of 14.7 volts and a float charge voltage of 13.5 volts. The resistor values are based on equation 1 and 2 on page 6 here:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slua017/slua017.pdf

My question is this. I am using 1% resistors. If I consider all of the different permutations of the three resistors being +/- 1% of their stated values I end up with Vblk having a maximum and minimum possible value of 15.2V and 14.7V respectively and Vflt having a maximum and minimum possible value of 13.94V and 13.48V respectively.

First off is this amount of variation acceptable for charging a 12V SLA battery? Second, if this amount of variation is not acceptable does it make sense to stick a trimmer pot in series with either R12 or R14 to sort of tune the circuit?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The trimmer pot makes sense, unless you want to try several values and hope you get lucky. On the other hand, your odds of getting lucky are better than you might think, since most of the 1% resistors will be better than the max tolerance. Personally, I'd aim for voltages within ~0.1v of target.

jerseyguy1996

Joined Feb 2, 2008
The trimmer pot makes sense, unless you want to try several values and hope you get lucky. On the other hand, your odds of getting lucky are better than you might think, since most of the 1% resistors will be better than the max tolerance. Personally, I'd aim for voltages within ~0.1v of target.
Considering the cost of a trimmer pot versus the cost of just buying a bunch of resistors, I think the multiple resistors wins.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You can get a 15 turn trimmer for $1.27. And very precise voltage settings.
Right, and it will work first time, every time. Definitely the best approach if you just want to assemble quickly without horsing around. This approach also allows you to compensate for changing temperatures, which will affect resistors and the optimum charging voltages.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
For each resistor, use a fixed to get you around 90% to 95% of the way there, and then use a 15-turn pot that will give you +/-10% or +/-5% adjustment.