Multiple Latch Type Solenoid Control

Ajax21

Joined Oct 25, 2016
OK guys and gals I spend a whole week trying to figure out how to control some solenoids and found this forum with great advice but I might need a little more explaining. I am basically a tinkerer and love to mess with electronics etc. My goal for this project is:

I have a 600' irrigation machine that I use for irrigating crops.
It as 129 sprinklers on it with manual ball valves that I have to go change on/off depending on area being irrigated. This can be a wet muddy mess...

I would like to automate or at least control all the valves from one central point.
I found some latch type (meaning they are pulsed with ~12V+ to turn on and pulsed again with ~12V- to turn off) solenoids that should do the trick, I just don't know what to build- to be able to control these solenoids individually. I keep seeing shift registers, H bridges etc. mentioned but if I can get a complete run down. From maybe just a huge bank of switches all the way to a touch screen would be nice. For the cherry on top I have an external input that can be used to trigger on/off events. If there is something on the market that can handle this already a link or directions for searching would be appreciated or some advice. My budget for the controls are $1000-$2000.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Are there 129 solenoids to control?
You can do the control with a simple DPDT centre off switch but 129 of them would be a bit unmanageable, but cheap and simple to do.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I would like to automate or at least control all the valves from one central point.
I found some latch type (meaning they are pulsed with ~12V+ to turn on and pulsed again with ~12V- to turn off) solenoids that should do the trick, I just don't know what to build- to be able to control these solenoids individually. I keep seeing shift registers, H bridges etc. mentioned but if I can get a complete run down. From maybe just a huge bank of switches all the way to a touch screen would be nice. For the cherry on top I have an external input that can be used to trigger on/off events. If there is something on the market that can handle this already a link or directions for searching would be appreciated or some advice. My budget for the controls are $1000-$2000.
Hi

Sounds like your looking for some type of pulse addressable control system where each valve could be addressed and commanded to be on/off from a central console. Do you have a part number for the valve and have you already purchased them?

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
One approach that starts to make sense with this many devices to control is the row / column matrix.

If the overall rate of necessary control cycling is low enough, and the devices have two latching states, this could be done
with a 10 X 13 switching matrix.
A secondary relay can be employed to reverse the polarity applied to the matrix for latch and unlatch.

I am having trouble imagining a ball valve interfaced to a latching solenoid? Do you have a part selected already?

Last edited:

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Yes, that would be simple then, you need 23 SPST contacts and one DPDT relay to reverse the polarity.
This monster could control 130 valves, from 24 I/O lines, nice.

There are many types of relay interface boards you could buy off the shelf.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
The matrix seems to make sense the same way you would address leds correct? Sorry maybe I was not clear but I will remove the ball valves and replace them with these
https://www.dripdepot.com/item/galc...FA9A005F1906&gclid=CMHNoYi6-c8CFQMoaQod9cENBg

Not concerned about speed in the sense they don't have to move all at once they can go in sequence
Not really. Its different than a matrix. If each valve were addressable, you would only need maybe 6 wires, ( xmt,rcv, pwr) forming a bus that each valve would connect. The console would send a digital pulse command containing the valve address and on/off request. I don't know if these exist for irrigation systems.