Multiple Feedback Bandpass Filter vs Inverting Bandpass Filter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Dritech, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Dritech

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hi all,

I want to filter a band of frequencies between 50Hz to 300Hz. I am currently using the Inverting Bandpass Filter design as shown below:

[​IMG]

I am now planning to increase to roll-off of the filter. Will a Multiple Feedback Bandpass Filter work since I have a narrow pass-band? I was considering using the schematic below:
    [​IMG]

2. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    You could quickly run a simulation to find out. But I doubt the MFB would have a big difference of rolloff. Both circuits are 2nd order so should have about 12dB/octave slope. Increase the filter order to increase the rolloff slope.

3. Dritech

Sep 21, 2011
    What is the difference between roll-off and the Q-factor?
    I found that MFBs have high Q-factor. Is this the same as roll-off?

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    Your first design is a first-order filter with a 6dB/octave rolloff, not second-order.
    Q determines the bandpass, not the rolloff rate.
    Here's a website that will help calculate the part values for a given desired frequency response.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    Whoops.

6. Dritech

Sep 21, 2011
    Is the a first order or a sendond order? because the site states that "An active band pass filter is a 2nd Order type filter because it has two reactive components (two capacitors) within its circuit design."

7. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's generally true if both reactive components control both of the roll-offs, such as the MFB circuit, but that's not true in the first circuit.
    In that circuit, one capacitor controls the low-pass roll-off (first-order) and the other controls the high-pass roll-off (first-order).

Dritech likes this.