Multiple capacitors in shunt vs. one for Filter

sgonzalez90

Joined Feb 5, 2014
Currently I'm modifying a circuit on voltage input of a controller.

There are currently 2x 47uf caps, and a .1uf cap in shut (all rated at 50V) for transients...is there any benefit to having 3 caps as opposed to one of the same or greater value???

I'm trying to minimize board space...only benefit I would think of would be the cost really...

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The option of 2 caps, 1x100μf and 1x0.1μf will work.
As long as the 47μf are presently located on an adjacent position on the board.
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The large capacitors supply large amounts of current in response to a load transient. The small capacitor is for high frequency bypass. You might want to consider other space saving measures. You did not say if the components were thru hole radial or axial. You can also save space by switching to tantalum or SMT parts. All choices involve tradeoffs. It is well know that free lunches are getting harder and harder to come by.

sgonzalez90

Joined Feb 5, 2014
The large capacitors supply large amounts of current in response to a load transient. The small capacitor is for high frequency bypass. You might want to consider other space saving measures. You did not say if the components were thru hole radial or axial. You can also save space by switching to tantalum or SMT parts. All choices involve tradeoffs. It is well know that free lunches are getting harder and harder to come by.
I'm using a radial surface mount, and I'm trying to avoid tantalum (Higher ESR). Tantalum polymer would be fine...