Multimeter probe question

wsprague

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Hi All,

Total newbie question. I have a Mastech MS8268 MS8261 DMM and I would like to get hook probes for it.

Does any one have a recommendation? How about this kit from Amazon? ..

http://www.amazon.com/Extech-TL809-Electronic-Test-Lead/dp/B0012VWUI6/

Do all probes fit all DMM's?

I don't need a kit, just the hook probes, so fewer items with good quality would be best (at least considering the Mastech as a baseline for quality, not a fluke or anything...)

Thanks

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Probes vary in resistance, as a cosequence using a probe and leads other than the set supplied by the manufacture sometimes results in errors in the reading of small resistances.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I have a Mastech MS8268 MS8261 DMM and I would like to get hook probes for it.

Does any one have a recommendation?
I usually cobble up something from parts I have on hand. If you have mini-grabber or alligator jumpers, you could use them. Be sure to take the additional resistance into consideration when making critical measurements.
Do all probes fit all DMM's?
No.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Every meter I have seen uses a standard banana jack for the inputs.

There is a tendency to add the safety jacket around the plug itself in case .you connect the test end to a high voltage and touch the other end. Some meters do not allow this cover so if your meter is like that just cut it off with a sharp knife and be done.

My personal preference is for a fixed ends, so I would have three different probe stes for the pointy end, the clip and the alligator, but I can see how this brings down your cost.

wsprague

Joined Sep 22, 2015
Every meter I have seen uses a standard banana jack for the inputs.

My personal preference is for a fixed ends, so I would have three different probe stes for the pointy end, the clip and the alligator, but I can see how this brings down your cost.
Do you have a specific product link or recommendation?

I am only worried about 0.01 V (or so) accuracy for now. When I start building my robot army for real I will get a Fluke.