Multimeter advice

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by eKretz, Apr 21, 2013.

1. eKretz

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Hi all, I am just getting into more electronics work and was wondering why this auction says this Fluke is not good for electronics work?

I have one of these also and I thought it would be good enough when I bought it a few years back thinking it would be good for household electrical and also future electronics stuff, but now I am it important to have something more like a Fluke 87? What sorts of applications would I be able to do with an 87 that this meter wouldn't be able to handle? Thanks so much for any advice or info, etc.
  2. Tealc

Jun 30, 2011
    It says in the auction.

3. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Your meter only measures to 1 milliampere resolution (nice to have better but rarely used by hobbyists). Also, it is limited to 0.1 mV DC. Rarely used by hobbiest and difficult to ger stable readings below that resolution - you have a perfectly fine meter. Especially since you haven't found the need for extended capabilities to this point.

More importantly, you might want to get an inexpensive second meter so you can have setups with voltage monitoring AND current monitoring at the same time. This is nice in certain prototyping situations.

A fluke 87, for example, would have a:
    -milliamperes / micro amp input.
    -frequency measurement to 100kHz
    -AC current capability
    -capacitance readings.

Other (less used for most people)
    - min/max readings over a period of time.
    - filter for noise reduction
    - ..?
  4. eKretz

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Ok, thanks a lot guys. I don't know how I missed the uVolt, uAmp thing right in the auction. Appreciate the advice Gopher!