Multi-tasking with PIC16F887 microcontroller?

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by aljack, Feb 12, 2010.

1. aljack

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 4, 2010

I would like to know if it's possible to do multi-tasking with a microcontroller

I use a PIC16F887 from Microchip, It's the same basic as PIC16F877, but a new ameliorated version.

I actually got a program doing a logic gestion of the I/O to do some control.
    I don't know is what I'm trying to to is considerate like muti-tasking, but is it possible by example to genarate PWM, make two timers running and during the scanning of the main program? And all that, whitout any interrupt?

Why I want to do all these task at the same time... It's because I read/right the I/O to do a none stop control, and I would like to get in certain condition a blinking output synchronized drive with a PWM. I need to synchronize those output because I got multiple pics driving the same output stuff. About the timer uses, I want them to time a specific output activation without interfering with the main program.

If all those multitasking are impossible, so what are the adventages to have multiple parameter possibilities if we coud'nt use all of those in the same program at the same time, without effect on the main program.

Thank you very much!
  2. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    You can, either by fast polling, interrupt driven routines, or a real time operating system. You always have some interaction between tasks because the cpu is finite.

Not sure why you say without interrupt, it is normally a very important part of multitasking.
  3. mik3

Feb 4, 2008
    What is that stuff?

You can clock them with the same clock signal as to synchronise them.