Multi Post Continuity Tester- Help Me Please! Urgent! :o)

galexanderr

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Hello,

Thank you in advance!

I have been working on a multi post continuity tester for checking miswires of electric motors on our compressors. I milled a box from nylon and used 3 separate coin cell battery holders, LEDs, and ran Neg to one side Pos to the other, and it worked great. Until i realized that even when 2 wires were switch on the motor, it still would light up.
The Big question:
How do i separate the circuits on the tester so that when 2 post on the motor are switched (wired wrong) the tester will not light up? Do i need to use resistors somewhere? I know enough about electricity to be dangerous, but circuits etc. is over me. Here is some simples of what i got. The tester sits on top the terminal plate. I understand why they still light up, but don't know how to separate the 2 loops so they dont complete each other.

CORRECT TERMINAL WIRING---------------------INCORRECT WIRING -------------------------TESTER
upload_2015-8-6_14-3-33.png upload_2015-8-6_14-5-22.png upload_2015-8-6_14-29-14.png

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do the dashed lines indicate the possible internal winding connections or external miss wiring?
If internal, there should be no continuity on the top & middle pair in the centre pic.
Do you have an Ohm meter to actually measure any resistance?
Max.

galexanderr

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Yes the dashed lines are the jumpers below the Terminal Plate (in retro). When i check the Tester, it's fine. When i check the Terminal Plate, it's fine. I've checked for grounding issue and everything...i'm lost lol Heres a little drawing to show technically whats going on while the tester is on the terminal. Dashed (crossed) lines are the terminal jumpers and solids are the tester wiring.
upload_2015-8-7_10-22-14.png

Attachments