Multi-digit SSD, Encoder Truth Table

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
Hello everyone.

I'm having some trouble with an encoder truth table for a circuit we've been asked to implement.

See figure for circuit as well as the scenario given.

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to go about determining the values for the truth table. It seems as though on the left hand side of the truth table the encoder bits are being shifted to the left each row.

I'm still not sure what the values of S1 and S0 should be...

My guess for the values of S0, and S1 (based on what I know about priority encoders) would be as follows,

For S0, from top to bottom:

For S1, from top to bottom:

Essentially counting upwards as we go down each row.

Can someone help me out?

Attachments

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What I understand from this exercise is that it wants you to build a 4-to-2 encoder. The output will be the binary representation of the position of 0 in the input. As zero goes from position 0 to position 3, your guess about the values of S0 and S1 find me positive.

You got two logic functions in your hands, one for S0 and one for S1 which must be treated separately. Also the table is an incomplete truth table. Make a 4-input Karnaugh map for each S, and fill it with the known information. The rest of the minterms (rows) that is unspecified should be filled with Don't Cares (X) in the Karnaugh Map.

jegues

Joined Sep 13, 2010
What I understand from this exercise is that it wants you to build a 4-to-2 encoder. The output will be the binary representation of the position of 0 in the input. As zero goes from position 0 to position 3, your guess about the values of S0 and S1 find me positive.

You got two logic functions in your hands, one for S0 and one for S1 which must be treated separately. Also the table is an incomplete truth table. Make a 4-input Karnaugh map for each S, and fill it with the known information. The rest of the minterms (rows) that is unspecified should be filled with Don't Cares (X) in the Karnaugh Map.
I don't have my scanner with me atm, but here's what I ended up with as logic functions.

S0 = NOT(A&C)

S1 = NOT(A&B)

Hopefully these are correct!?