Mulitple 12vdc power supplies to one?

kny

Joined Mar 28, 2012
Hi,

I have a quick question on a project that I'm working on. The box has multiple 110v ac to 12vdc wall adapters and was wondering if they could be combined into one regulated 12vdc output power supply?

Reading the transformers, this is what I have:

1 - 12vdc 250ma
1 - 12vdv .42amp
2 - 12vdc 1.5amp

I was wondering if I could just use a 5amp regulated 12vdc power supply and eliminate all of the individual power supplies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A single supply (of 2.17 amps or more) might fix all your problems unless the loads need to be intentionally isolated from each other, or one of them doesn't have the same polarity connector as the other two. The current required is only one of the considerations.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Combining them could have issues, they may not share current in a reasonable way ( suppose one is perfect and 12.000 v and the other is perfect 12.001 volts, the lower voltage one would "short" the higher voltage one [if connected with perfect conductors]).

This is probably not worth doing esp with the 250 ma supply as it contributes so little to the total.

As stated above a single supply with the required current should not be hard to find, may computer power supplies can do the job, get them from junked computers, or from the brick supplies from portables ( probably with an added regulator )