MPLABX compilers

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Dawud Beale, May 26, 2013.

1. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/#downloads

I'm looking to download MPLABX. I presume I will need to download the stuff from the windows section (As Im not using a Mac or Linux) and I will need the IDE and the release notes. but I was confused on the 3 compilers that you can download from the windows section, C8, C16 and C32, what is the difference between these 3 compilers and am I right in assuming these compilers are for C and not assembly?

2. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Yes, those are the C compilers for 18-bit, 16-bit, and 32-bit MCUs. Microchip's PIC10F, 12F, 16F, and 18F processors are 8-bit, PIC24s are 16-bit, and PIC32s are 32-bit. You will want to choose your compiler depending on what chips you're planning on programming.

It also couldn't hurt to download all three. Just make sure that when you're setting up a project in the project wizard, you choose the proper compiler for your chip.

Hope this helps :)

Regards,
    Matt

Dawud Beale likes this.
  3. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    excellent info thank you

4. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Anytime, I'm glad to be of service.

Best of luck to you!

Matt

5. Dawud Beale

Thread Starter Member

Feb 10, 2012
    For brownie points, any tips on what to do for licensing as the compilers seem to have an issue with needing a license?

6. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    Many of them should have a Lite version. They will work fine for most programming. I've been using C18 lite for years now, never had a need for the "full" version. Google "XC8 Lite" or something like that to find download links. The Microchip results should have the download link to the Lite versions.

Matt

7. JohnInTX

Jun 26, 2012
    You can get free versions for all of the MPLABX compilers here (the links in the upper right corner). Free versions have no restrictions on what you can compile BUT the paid-for versions optimize code better.

You can try (for free) the optimized (PRO) versions for a limited time. Get something working then activate the limited license (60days). Recompile and see the difference in code size. XC8 PRO can be 40-50% smaller based on my observations on a couple of projects so far.

I've not been a fan of C on 8-bit PICs in the past but XC8 is changing my mind. Its pretty darned good.

EDIT: I was able to upgrade a C18 license to XC8-PRO for free. Don't know if that's still offered.

Last edited: May 26, 2013