MPLAB vs Microcode Studio

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by tracecom, Mar 5, 2013.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    MPLAB is terribly confusing to me.

I am beginning (again) the process of transitioning from PICAXE to PIC and am using PICBasicPro 3. After battling MPLAB last April and again for the last few days, I finally (today) decided to give Microcode Studio at try. To quote an old commercial, "What a relief it is!"

It is probably like the Ford/Chevy argument, and I may regret my decision, but for now, I'm actually writing code, compiling code, downloading code, and running code...almost painlessly. (Yeah, it's simple code, but it runs. :))

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Does it support in circuit debugging?

I haven't used it. Is it affordable?

3. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I have both programs here, never touch Microcode Studio though I have used it.

I'm curious, what compiler are you using? I've found some compilers just play better in their native IDE, especially things like clicking on build errors to open the offending line of code.

4. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    It's free with PBP3. As to ICD, it does support it, but to what degree, I don't know. I believe that to have a full ICD profile set, you have to upgrade to Microcode Studio Plus for $50.

It uses MPASM and supports the PICkit 2 and 3, and it is so much simpler to use than MPLAB. It also correctly color codes PBP programs, which MPLAB does not do. Of course, it was written for PICBasic.

5. takao21203

Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    There is a 3d world in the DirectX SDK.

All high-end software developement is like that.

The IDE, documentation, tools are always somehow incomplete and broken.

Only older well known trivial stuff such as BASIC is complete.

You can do things like sorting or fractals in BASIC.

But if you want to do Huffmann compression, you are poor advised only with BASIC arrays. Pointer arithmetic is useful here.

If your programming subject is difficult, then overcoming the limitations of the IDE is just amusement. You'd always find a workaround or a solution.

6. elec_mech

Nov 12, 2008
    Hi Tracecom.

I was able to load MPLAB and PBP3 successfully, but I haven't tried downloading to a PIC yet.

Where are you having issues? Can you load PBP3 and write code in MPLAB? Or is it more of an issue communicating to the PIC itself?

7. tracecom

Apr 16, 2010
    I determined that MPLAB does not recognize the pbp file extension (only bas) and that MPLAB does not correctly color pbp code. So, I have begun using Microcode Studio, which is much easier for me. See this thread for more info.

Thanks.