MPLAB v8 vs MPLAB vs X

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by maxpower097, Apr 30, 2012.

1. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    So I've been playing with mplab X for a while and all I can say is wow it sure makes the IDE easier. The problem I've found is its not so MPLAB 8 project friendly. You can import v8 projects, but they don't work right all the time. Anyone else experienced this? In the current project I'm working on I got stuck twice and both times it fixed itself as soon as I rolled it back to MPLAB8. Thankfully MC allows you to install both. But I can't wait for MPLAB X to get a lil futher. I love the autocomplete in the code using your subroutines, variables, headerfiles, libraries. etc..

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I've tried a couple of times, the most recently about a month ago. I couldn't get the simulator working, it wouldn't stop at breakpoints. I'll probably wait a year or so and try again to see if they've finished it.

3. chrisw1990

Oct 22, 2011
    i tried mplab x and it didnt include my source files.. was running a demo app from microchip.. very annoying switched straight back

4. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    I use it (Unix MPLABX) on a few projects with Linux 64bit workstations. It's about 4x faster than the windows platform on the same hardware. I hear Version 1.20 is pretty close to release and should fix some of the debugger/simulator problems. (It's still Beta software and nowhere near solid but the feature set is so good for complex projects I'll never go back to 8 for new project development)

5. maxpower097

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    I agree, kinda weird I was having issues just taking in the source code and getting it to function right. On MPLX no errors, everythings good, the serial code demo's just wouldn't work. I loaded a old version of MPL8 and it built fine and programmed fine, serial was working in 3 minutes after launch. So what scares me is not so much that it can't take in an mpl8 project, its that its actually not compiling the source code the same. But I love the new features, makes programming a breeze, but I'm reluctant because lots of code examples and my previous code doesn't work very often.

6. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  7. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
  9. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
    How wonderful it is depends on how complex a project it's being used with. It's based on Netbeans. http://netbeans.org/index.html I mainly use the Linux version of MPLABX, it's very quick on good hardware , allows you to turn off the nanny options if you just want to input code with the option to turn back on all the source code checking later.

You can have both installed and use both (not at the same time) on the same app to write and debug. For an example I have a older ICD2 MPLABX (Works with a ICD3 and later debuggers) doesn’t support, so I use MPLAB to start a project then import it to X for development then program the chip with MPLAB with the ICD2.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012