Mplab ide

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I knew it! I've been trying to get used to MPLAB X just for such an occasion. I still don't like it, but looks like I don't have much choice anymore.:(

There's just something about a windowed environment that I like...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I use MPLab X all of the time. I really don't understand why people don't like it but maybe it is because I work in the very similar Eclipse environment.

The one thing that I do not like is the actual interface to the pick kit. I miss the ability to confirm the connection to the device with reconnect.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Does that mean I am wasting time trying to learn to use 8.89?
Probably. It is really up to you. I would imagine v8.92 would be support for a year or two but you would not be able to use the newer chips.

If you can live with that then MPLab should be fine but I suppose if you are learing something new you might as well start off with the latest release MPLabx.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I find MPLAB 8.89 very confusing, so if I am going to struggle, it might as well be with MPLABX. I am installing v1.70 on my desktop computer as I type.

ETA: I already see one thing I like better - no more workspaces.

Last edited:

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Does that mean I am wasting time trying to learn to use 8.89?
I'm still using MPlab 8. Support for the older chips which beginners like me use are well supported under MPlab 8, but some of them don't work properly with MPlab X. Check the MPlab X errata for the chips that you are likely to be using:
Look at the readme files in the release notes on the downloads part of this page.
http://www.microchip.com/pagehandler/en-us/family/mplabx/

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I 'personally' think it's premature to EOL 8 because there is a planned large upgrade (to Netbeans 7.2) for X v2.00 that's planned. I love using X on Linux but I was hoping for a stable release based on 7.2 before new chip support was dropped in 8.

From the MCHP DEV team via their forum.
We are looking to start a merge into the Netbeans 7.2 platform at the end of this year which should be available to our customers mid next year. This is being targeted as MPLAB X IDE v 2.00.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have an LED flashing on a 10F200 via MPLABX. Of course, it took some clicking and hoping, but it's flashing.
You the man! :D

The hard part is learning to use the UI.

Some really neat features are:

If you type LATAbits. (for example) you can list all of the variables under LATAbits.

If you type #include " then hit ctrl-space, all of your header files will be listed.

#include < will list headers in your header directory.

Ctrl-space will list any headers or variables that you have defined.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
And if you simply press #, it will list all the # directives then you can select include then space and it will list your include files.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Thanks. It is easier to me than 8.89; that's not to say that I know anything really about either one. I just finished printing the UG for MPLABX, and I am determined to read it through. (I don't like reading from a computer screen.)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Thanks. It is easier to me than 8.89; that's not to say that I know anything really about either one. I just finished printing the UG for MPLABX, and I am determined to read it through. (I don't like reading from a computer screen.)
You are like my Dad. He prints EVERYTHING. He goes through printer cartridges like crazy.