Moving statements

circuitashes

Joined May 13, 2008
Was doing a little reflection on some of the statements that have moved and influenced me alot.

I particularly want to share this one with you guys:
"I am a man, and nothing human is alien to me" - By Terence (a Roman playwright)

That statement helps me appreciate the fact that i have limitations, just as everyone else. This has made me more tolerant of others.

What statement(s) would you say has influenced you alot?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Tag lines tend to fit that bill. Another one of my favorites is "Never attribute to malice when stupidity will suffice". I try to remember that one when I get cut off on the freeway, and it is very true in life, usually when people really truly screw you they have no idea.

I have a lot of them, I think the one above was from Sam Clemens, but I'm not sure.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Mine is not a "one liner." The one which helped me most over the past decade was, I thought, a Nelson Mandella quote. Turns out instead to have been written by Marianne Williamson:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light , not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of god. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make and manifest the glory of god that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."​

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I sometimes think of something by John Fowles that speaks of the fragility of life:

"I was not; I may not be; I shall not be."