Moving large stone blocks

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I watched a program on the history channel last night about ancient megoliths, such as mach picchu, stone henge, et. al., most recently constructed being coral castle in florida. The program seemed to only interview "experts" who proposed wild explanations such as aliens levitating stones with tractor beams from space ships & laser cutting the stones; merlin the wizard turning people into 30 ton stones; and ancient mystics levitating stones with anti gravity supernatural powers.

The program recounted words from the builder of coral castle Ed Leedskalnin, who reputedly built the megolith by himself containing 15-30ton stones with nothing but a telephone pole tripod & block/tackle (& some small black box which he referred to as a "pertetual motion holder") "The force we know as gravity and electromagnetism are the same thing".

I searched for a "well grounded" answer (I guess that term is relative now, considering the HISTORY channel now entertains theories that belong in sci-fi novels) to the technique of moving large objects without heavy machinery and came up with this: http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/newpage1

That method seems very logical and I can see how sone henge could be constucted that way, but what about machu picchu? How did they transport those massive boulders up to the top of a mountain?

What about the cutting of the stones at machu picchu?

They say the cutting of the granite stones at machu picchu could not have been accomplished with the primitive tools available at the time. It is difficult to cut granite even today; diamond cutters are needed. Even with the machinery available today, the complex joints between the stones could not be done; the stones fit so tightly and perfectly together that it would be impossible (so "they" say, but that's not the issue, the issue is how the ancients did it). One of the nut jobs on the program suggested that the stones were super heated to a putty consistency and molded together; I must admit, it really does look like that.

So, what method do you guys think is responsible for the constuction of stone structures of antiquity?

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Muscle, sweat, ropes, levers, rollers, inclined planes, water, stone tools... and probably a good many methods the details of which will have been lost in the mists of time.

I would take a lot of convincing that there was anything magical or extraterrestrial about it, more likely the efforts of a lot of highly determined and resourceful people.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
In the old days the people could have watched nature at work and
copied It.Like a small plant in time growing in a crack until it splite.
Then they could use some thing like a stone to splite bigger stones.
They could have by seeing earthquake see stones scored by falling
stones.A plant in time with weather conditions grow into a tree.
The hot and cold over night could taught them some things by
watching things around them. Now a days you can travel thru a tunnel
and see plants growing in the cracks.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You forgot another key ingredient: the wip.
As tom Jones said
Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong
You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter, don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Muscle, sweat, ropes, levers, rollers, inclined planes, water, stone tools... and probably a good many methods the details of which will have been lost in the mists of time.

I would take a lot of convincing that there was anything magical or extraterrestrial about it, more likely the efforts of a lot of highly determined and resourceful people.
+1. Over the last 40+ years, I've moved my machinery around mostly with levers, rollers, and ropes. One time I rented an off-road forklift to put the mill and lathe in an old horse barn, but then I moved them to the new shop when it was built by building a heavy wooden platform and dragging it behind my Land Cruiser. Then I pulled it into the shop with a Hi-Lift jack. These aren't excessively heavy machines (the lathe is probably around 450 kg and the mill is probably around 700 kg), but they're not something one person can pick up a corner, move it, etc.

As tom Jones said
Tennessee Ernie Ford probably said it a bit earlier (about 1957 IIRC).

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
T06,do you think the company store still exist,have you ever had experience with a company store.
What do you thing a country would be like,where would you find one in Florida( know all see all )
did you know about about Tennessee Ernie Ford or are you on google again.Life before google I
use to go to the library and get searchs from a unmark door when they got around to doing it.
They didn't want people to know or they had there favorites like law firms,can you imagine life before T06.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I find it interesting that people who have no imagination think the problem is insolvable by other humans, so they resort to gimmicks like aliens or magic. If they can't solve the problem it can't be solved!

It's like the parody line from 6th sense, "I see stupid people, and some of them don't know they are stupid!".

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A lot of what people thought was magic has been solved by science.I will name
two them.I know the answers,I will let you google first before I give you
the answers. First-VooDoo -the second walking on hot coals. Solved

Last edited:

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
I just watched a series that sounds like the one you described called: Ancient Aliens.

Pretty interesting stuff. It's basically engineers and archaeologists who set out to investigate the ideas brought up in the novel: Chariots of the Gods.

It starts out slow, but later on in the first episode it heats up. Same with episodes two and three.

Check it out if you have time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgJ7-R4Zpbk