Moving a DVD to my hard drive

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have a DVD containing a LOT of information (7.8 gig) about car repairs. It is clearly labeled, "This disc must be in the DVD drive to access the information".

I don't like that. I tried to drag&drop the whole DVD into a partition, but after "installation" the desktop shortcut points to a file that does not exist in the copy. It's called, "tsobrowser.exe" if it matters.

So...I thought about doing an xcopy with ancient DOS magic. I thought about making an ISO image of the DVD and trying to run from that. What do you think will get this information on my D: partition so I can use the information without having the disc in the drawer?

ps, This Windows computer is running Vista.

pps, Yes, joeyd, I know installing Linux will solve all Windows problems. :rolleyes:

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
not used the ms software, so can't comment there.

i use daemon tools (older version) to mount iso's, the current one apparently installs spyware

post #5 is also good option

and a 3rd tick on joeyd suggestion :)

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
I have a DVD containing a LOT of information (7.8 gig) about car repairs. It is clearly labeled, "This disc must be in the DVD drive to access the information".

I don't like that. I tried to drag&drop the whole DVD into a partition, but after "installation" the desktop shortcut points to a file that does not exist in the copy. It's called, "tsobrowser.exe" if it matters.

So...I thought about doing an xcopy with ancient DOS magic. I thought about making an ISO image of the DVD and trying to run from that. What do you think will get this information on my D: partition so I can use the information without having the disc in the drawer?

ps, This Windows computer is running Vista.

pps, Yes, joeyd, I know installing Linux will solve all Windows problems. :rolleyes:
What kind of auto software ???
Right now I have Alldata and love it ..

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@Dr.killjoy

Ford Explorer, 2005. Wiring Diagrams and Shop Manual. $10 from eBay and another $15 for the printed version of the wiring diagrams. (Must have a paper copy to spill coffee on.:rolleyes:)
ps, I got the DVD working on my computer with the ISO method.
Drilled the holes to get the window motor bolts out, found the broken ground wire in the door hinge area, that got all the windows and door locks working. Just got back from having spare keys made. Now I'm trying to get it to recognize the Key Fob.

When I get done with that, I have to find a vacuum leak so the brake booster works right, fix the outdoor air intake flapper for the air conditioner, one leaky thermostat housing, upper control arms for the front suspension, 4 new tires, try to remove the doggy smell, reupholster the driver's seat, and a partridge in a pear tree. It's a maxed out XLT Sport Trac. Roof rack, step bars, little blinky security light, towing package, 5 speed transmission, power moon roof, disc changer stereo, rear air conditioning, third row seats, leather upholstery, electric side mirrors, 4 wheel drive, cruise control, 4 wheel disk brakes, ABS.......

$3000 down, about $1000 for parts, and it Bluebooks for $8,660. Sweet ride, blacked out windows, and it looks so, "cop car" that it doesn't even have parking lot disease! It's like people are afraid to ding it with their door for fear the FBI is going to jump out and handcuff them.:D

This is a GREAT winter project for me!

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
@Dr.killjoy

Ford Explorer, 2005. Wiring Diagrams and Shop Manual. $10 from eBay and another $15 for the printed version of the wiring diagrams. (Must have a paper copy to spill coffee on.:rolleyes:)
ps, I got the DVD working on my computer with the ISO method.
Drilled the holes to get the window motor bolts out, found the broken ground wire in the door hinge area, that got all the windows and door locks working. Just got back from having spare keys made. Now I'm trying to get it to recognize the Key Fob.

When I get done with that, I have to find a vacuum leak so the brake booster works right, fix the outdoor air intake flapper for the air conditioner, one leaky thermostat housing, upper control arms for the front suspension, 4 new tires, try to remove the doggy smell, reupholster the driver's seat, and a partridge in a pear tree. It's a maxed out XLT Sport Trac. Roof rack, step bars, little blinky security light, towing package, 5 speed transmission, power moon roof, disc changer stereo, rear air conditioning, third row seats, leather upholstery, electric side mirrors, 4 wheel drive, cruise control, 4 wheel disk brakes, ABS.......

$3000 down, about $1000 for parts, and it Bluebooks for $8,660. Sweet ride, blacked out windows, and it looks so, "cop car" that it doesn't even have parking lot disease! It's like people are afraid to ding it with their door for fear the FBI is going to jump out and handcuff them.:D

This is a GREAT winter project for me!
lol
Ok and if you need any information don't be affraid to ask.. Right now I have a 98' explorer,01 explorer,and 01 escape ...
How many factory keys do you have ???
Paid
01 Explorer-$3600 years ago
98 Explorer -$600
01 Escape -$2100

Joined Nov 30, 2010
lol
Ok and if you need any information don't be afraid to ask.. Right now I have a 98' explorer,01 explorer,and 01 escape ...
How many factory keys do you have ???
One.:(

I'm going to attach it to the key interrogator in the steering column and use normal keys @ $3 each instead of waiting to lose it and pay a tow truck to get me to a dealership to pay $130 each for keys. For my next act, I am going to try installing a grounding button for the relay that stops the engine from cranking if no key is recognized. I don't know if the magic computer will still refuse to ground the fuel injectors, but I'm going to find out.

May I recommend:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/

My membership there is as, "Number Twelve"

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
One.:(

I'm going to attach it to the key interrogator in the steering column and use normal keys @ $3 each instead of waiting to lose it and pay a tow truck to get me to a dealership to pay $130 each for keys. For my next act, I am going to try installing a grounding button for the relay that stops the engine from cranking if no key is recognized. I don't know if the magic computer will still refuse to ground the fuel injectors, but I'm going to find out.

May I recommend:

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/

My membership there is as, "Number Twelve"
lol
Membership-TorqueRanger
I stay away from the site cause to much crap and everyone answer is to do some searching ..Plus alot of good people left a while ago and have not come back ...
What you could do also is to glue the chip to the steering column or sensor and you should be ok and regular keys .. That is my plan for my mine cause I have a single key each...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
glue the chip to the steering column or sensor
That's the plan.

Those Ford sites might be stale, but they are new to me, and I have learned a lot. Not by asking questions, just by reading. A 2005 Explorer is so different from my '96 Aerostar that I'm in a new world.