Movie Reviews!

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Django Unchained- 3* - Quintin T. made this 1800's cowboy slave movie. Has the QT humor and action in it just in a southern setting. Its pretty long movie that will have you look at your watch but not asking WTH is taking so long. The action steadily builds to the end. I'd say Samuel L Jacksons Best preformance ever. And the white guy's who's Jamie Foxes partner makes the move. Well worth a watch.

Lincoln - 3.5* - Top knotch! Great movie! Nuff Said.

Hobbit - 2.5* - Good movie, lots of promise but it wasn't so much a movie that will have 2 sequals. More like a movie with a Too be Continued!

End Of Watch - 4* Amazing movie shot in a semi documentary film making way, 1/2 on camcorder, 1/2 pro movie. But its about 2 cops that are really cool and get in over their heads. Got 2 of my favorite up and coming actors in it too. WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Looper - 3* Good movie with new approach to time travel, mobsters and the future. Of coarse with any movie with time travel involved there will be some issues of how does that work. But all in all a solid movie.

Batman ? Had to turn it off got too slo!

Life of pi - 3.5* - Starts off slow, stories great, only issue you may find that kept me from giving it 4 stars is anyone who's ever been on a smaller 20ft- boat knows when a 700lb tiger jumps in one leap from the stearn to teh bow of a ship the boats gonna change boyancy. Many seens the tiger seemed to walk, run or jump around the boat yeat the boat in the water didn't change any weight distribution.

ARGO - 3* good spy movie with lower action and more suspense.

0-Dark-30 - 3.7* - Solid movie based on one girl's experience and obsession in finding OBL. Events all check out on news, watch movie, then research all the key events then portray. I'm sure they made this girl more then what she was , but its known she was highly involved with the case, so its like they put 3 people into 1 with her so she seems like a bigger hero then in RL. Every Westerner should watch this movie. Actually had high hopes for it and was pleasently surprised it was a lil better.

Lincoln Vampire Slayer - 2.* - a real shocker. A good vampire b movie that actually is watchable. Had a lil comedy, a lot of action, and the acting wasn't half bad. This is one of those movies you expect to be totally horrible, but if you go in with that mindset you'll be pleasantly surprised. Its no supermovie but to kill an hour or two its better then getting kicked in the face with a golf shoe.

Taken 2 - ? Too slow had to turn it off.

If you find these movies on par with what you would rank them I'll post more reviews of other old obscure movie and new movies or if you wanna add anything by all means.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I was going to see Lincoln today but this cold has me. Don't feel much like doing anything and I don't know if the other movie goers would appreciate my hacking. Maybe tomorrow, I hope it is still there (didn't think of that today).

I have to agree with ou on the length of some of these movies. It is almost like they add garbage just to increase the length of the movie.

Batman stunk. The only reason I went to see it because of the shots of Pittsburgh. It drove me nuts. That chase scene must have went by Macy's 20 times. Pittsburgh is a small city and not a good place for chase scenes. Had it been a chase in one direction they would have been well out into the country had they headed north, south or west. :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
At least you got batman our best films here were
1. Punisher.
2. Cop and a half.
3. and Spring Breakers with Selena Gomez and Justin Beiber here for like 2-3 months.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Lincoln was OK, but I noticed I'm getting burned out nowadays by all the special effects in movies.

They like to throw in extra sound and movement, sometimes enough to make your head spin.:D

I like movies with more dialog/substance...other than having my brain bombarded with needless special effects.

Or, I'm just getting too old for nonsense.;)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
At least you got batman our best films here were
1. Punisher.
2. Cop and a half.
3. and Spring Breakers with Selena Gomez and Justin Beiber here for like 2-3 months.
There are lots of movies filmed here. Pittsburgh is pretty much Hollywood East. Most recent is Jack Reacher. Not that I put a lot of stock in what Tom Cruise has to say but he seemed genuinely impressed with the city. Lots of people filming here have the same impression.

What I did not like about Batman is they cut down some really nice trees along Liberty Ave so they could do the filming. The folks in charge of controlling crowds seemed awfully rude too.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
They like to throw in extra sound and movement, sometimes enough to make your head spin.:D

I like movies with more dialog/substance...other than having my brain bombarded with needless special effects.

Or, I'm just getting too old for nonsense.;)
What's with every time someone has a drink with ice? It almost sounds like they put a microphone down inside the glass! Have you ever been in a room where someone had a drink with ice and were able to hear the ice moving around (unless they were really shaking the glass or it was near empty).

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
any obscure movies then?

Clean, shaven - about schizophrenia, similar to well known Spider, but I actually like this better for its sound effects
Peacock - multiple personality disorder, excellent acting

... I've been meaning to go and see Life of Pi but I worry that it will ruin the book for me.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
There are lots of movies filmed here. Pittsburgh is pretty much Hollywood East. Most recent is Jack Reacher. Not that I put a lot of stock in what Tom Cruise has to say but he seemed genuinely impressed with the city. Lots of people filming here have the same impression.

What I did not like about Batman is they cut down some really nice trees along Liberty Ave so they could do the filming. The folks in charge of controlling crowds seemed awfully rude too.
We have universal orlando here but in FL your in stiff competition with Southbeach for movie and shooting TV shows. The list of stuff shot in miami is incredible. In fact most like CSI miami, Dexter, Burn Notice, etc.... All started out in miami but after 3-5 years of establishing stock footage and they are doing good they get promoted to LA. Where they can substitute LA for Miami. But you gotta have a lot of stock footage and be creative with shooting be FL and CA look nothing alike in person.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the better Sci Fi movies in a while, Robot & Frank. No violence. A retired jewel thief with dementia gets a caretaker robot from his son. They did a really good job of showing a intelligent robot (that could pass the Turing Test) that was not alive or self aware.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My favorite Sci-Fi movie of all time, is "The Day the Earth Stood Still".:cool:

With Michael Rennie as Klaatu.:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/

Stop the world's electricity, and watch them squirm.:D
You mean not the one with Neo? LOL ;)

Seriously if you wanna see a really messed up moving that will leave you scratching your head and saying huh? WTH did I just witness? Try to find Dear Wendy. Its about these small town kids that around 16-19? that form a cult club around guns. They more or less fall in love with them and do nothing but practice shooting their love mates(guns) all day and night. A ghetto black kids comes into the fold and group and mixes things up and this is when things go from weird to straight bizaro world. Shes gotta deliver a cake to a relative 1 street away in this small little town and the gang has vowed to protect her. Crazy stuff happens and they end up taking on the DEA, ATF, FBI, etc... etc.. I saw it one time on IFC about 5 years ago and never heard of it since. Can't find it anywhere.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342272/

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I saw Lincoln this afternoon. At first I was wondering what the excitement was about. I almost walked out but decieded to stay. The movie really builds and is extremely powerful. I don't mind saying I came to tears several times in the movie. The scene at the hospital was very upsetting What was just as or more upsetting was the realization of how people were treated back then just because of skin color.

Tommy Lee Jones has always been a favorite of mine but in this movie he was absolute incredible. Sally Field played a great Mary Lincoln. I have always heard how she was a major b i t c h (what is it with some first ladies?) and a bit of a loon. She covered that character awfully well.

I am just amazed at how well people used to speak. It makes our current politicians look like idiots in comparison. The English language can really be a beautiful language with someone with the right skills.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Agreed, its because of the use of slang. 200 years from now we could sound austrailian. I agree with your assestment of the movie but I didn't think it started slow. I loved the entry of him talking with the slave soldiers then the white soldiers come up. That wholes seen was pretty cool I thought. And the Scene at the end with TLJ when he's in bed with his wife. Thats a powerful scene.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
OK I agree. The very start was heart warming but you have admit it fell off for a bit. It really did not start to really build again until the first debate scene in the Huose.