Move lens outside from the module

RyuMaster

Joined Feb 12, 2011
Hi! As you can see on the image attached, there is a very small camera. On the end of it, there is the lens. I wonder - is it possible to "detach" that lense from camera, and place it somewhere else, extending with the wires?

On the image, I can see only one wire going out from the lens. I wonder, is there more? Is it theoretically possible to do, what I want, or there are some fundamental reasons, which restricts lense to stay close to the actual module?

Thanks!

Attachments

RyuMaster

Joined Feb 12, 2011
It is my pleasure ^_^
I'll try to find more pictures, maybe some technical drawing, and will get back here. Unfortunately, I do not own that camera, as I want to find out firstly, can I do what I want to do using it.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I'll have to say "Very doubtful".

The camera module extends from the portion circled in red, back to the PCB. If you remove the lens, you'll destroy the camera. Further, if you attempt to separate the camera from the board, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a good impedance match between the camera and the boards' electronics, so the image you may or may not obtain will be quite poor.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The lens needs to be in close proximity to the CCD, which is most likely "Chip On Board", i.e. integrated circuit deposited directly onto the PCB inside the LED's circumference around the camera, then the lens is added for focus.

Many small cameras like that use a few loops of wire on the lens, with the outer shell magnetized, so that the lens can be positioned by varying the amount of current through the tiny electromagnet.

These are nothing like SLR cameras. Attempting to disassemble the unit would destroy it.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I"ll vote for the better pic.

How much does not show on the fingertip. That thing is so small, it has a whole truckload of potential as is, without jeopardizing it, since as Oneguy is saying, the lens has to be focused on the CCD.......

Best you can do is try, at worst, it won't work at all.........tho' if it works, the possible uses multiply almost exponentially

Nothing ventured..........nothing gained :D Welcome to AAC !!

Last edited: