Mouse problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by pedro147, Dec 13, 2014.

1. pedro147

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I have a rather unusual problem with a Microsoft wireless optical mouse 2000 that I recently purchased new. I put in fresh batteries when I started using it and then after an hour or two's use it started to scroll very slowly ie - I had to turn the mouse wheel a lot to get a page to scroll a short distance. Thinking that maybe the batteries were "stale" I put another new set in but the same thing happened after several hours use. The unusual thing is that after the second set started exhibiting the problem, I reinstalled the original set of batteries and they worked perfectly OK for several hours before again showing the slow scrolling behavior. Since then I have continued to just rotate these two pairs of batteries to get around this annoying and perplexing problem. Can anyone please suggest what might be going on here as I am sure that I cannot be the first person to ever have a similar problem. Thanks.

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Have you tried calibrating the mouse using its utility software? Or returning the mouse for another one?

bwilliams60 likes this.
  3. pedro147

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2013
    I just used the Windows 7 generic drivers but I have downloaded some Microsoft drivers specific to the mouse and I will see if that has any affect. Thanks for your suggestions.

4. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    This sounds similar to a problem I've had with every wireless mouse I've tried so far - if anyone else is using a WiFi router nearby, it swamps the mouses' communication.

Eventually I just gave up and only use USB mouse now.

5. pedro147

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks Ian. I don't think that this is my problem. I do have a wi-fi router nearby but I have used exactly the same model of mouse for several years prior to this one with no issues at all. It is certainly a strange problem that falls into the Gremlins category :D

6. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    +1 on the drivers. Had similar problem and repaired with updated driver. have you checked Microsoft website for cures?

7. pedro147

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks bwilliams60. I have downloaded some MS drivers for the mouse so I will update the drivers to them. It is just strange as I have used the exact same model of mouse before with just the generic W7 drivers and had no problems. I do not hold out much hope but I will give it a go